Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

trek bike sizing

4K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  pfox90 
#1 ·
I have gotten conflicting reports on proper bike sizing. Have found a great deal on a trek top fuel 9.9 with a 17" frame. I am 5'11 with a 32" inseam. Most have told me that is a good size for me but a few think I need an 18 or 19 and trek's website shows that I need at least a 19 or a 20. Any help here? Besides the obvious reasons of not having too tall of frame what are dissadvantages of a slighty smaller frame? Thanks

#3 ·
The actual seat tube measurement is really a non factor as you can raise your seat post to compensate for the shorter seat tube. One of the more important measurements is the tube top measurement. If you have your old bike you can compare your geometry numbers between the two bikes. If your cockpit felt cramped on your old bike, then you may need a longer TT or stem combination.

It is easier to make a smaller bike feel larger, than it is to make a big bike feel smaller, especially in the stand over department. I always feel like most larges are up in my nut sack, and that is a big no no.

I'm 5'11 with a 32" inseam, and I like a tube top measurement of around 23.5-24. That is just me though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.