Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Just Bought My 1st Bike (2011 Gary Fisher Wahoo)

18K views 44 replies 27 participants last post by  ShawnCS 
#1 ·
Hey all, I am a new member here and am also new to mountain biking. I have rode cheap mountain bikes in the past, only on paved roads. I am 33 years old and have recently taken up running to improve my cardio (have always been in the gym building muscle) and to shed my bulky frame down.

I recently had a itch to get into mountain biking. After doing research for a couple of weeks I decided on the Trek Wahoo Gary Fisher, my original budget was $400-500 range, I was looking at the Trek 3700 and the Trek 3900. As I continued to educate myself through my LBS, and most importantly this great forum, I came across the Wahoo. I then compared it to the 3700 and 3900 and it was a easy decision.

I happened to get lucky as well, my LBS was having a 10% off sale so I walked out the door for $660 after taxes, all in all I feel I made the right move for a beginner bike. I will be hitting the trails asap and I can't wait. Most importantly I will be going to buy a helmet this week along with some gear to protect my body. If anyone has any pointers for a noob like myself, I am all ears.

Some pics!

See less See more
#3 ·
*Jersey* said:
Awesome! You're going to love the Wahoo, I know this because I love mine...it's such a great bike! Anyway, Welcome! Jersey.
Thanks for the welcome man! I only took it around the block tonight because it was late, I did a quick 2 miles. The only thing I did not like, the pedals feel a bit small and cheap, so if anyone can recommend a upgrade on the pedals at a reasonable price, I would greatly appreciate it. I can already tell, this is going to be a expensive hobby. :eek:

#6 ·
I almost bought a Wahoo, but the weight was an issue and ouch $660, my LBS was at $550. Nice bike enjoy it. Tried Trek 4500 Matte Onlyx next to the Wahoo and Wahoo was noteably heavier. Of course the Trek 4500 was $800, but I almost went for it when they told me $700. Its gotta be 5lb to 10lb less.

#7 ·
Ice Cold said:
I almost bought a Wahoo, but the weight was an issue and ouch $660, my LBS was at $550. Nice bike enjoy it. Tried Trek 4500 Matte Onlyx next to the Wahoo and Wahoo was noteably heavier. Of course the Trek 4500 was $800, but I almost went for it when they told me $700. Its gotta be 5lb to 10lb less.
5 to 10 lbs? There's no way.

#9 ·
JonathanGennick said:
The Wahoo is an excellent choice. You did well, imho.

Good photos too.

Floor needs work though :D .

Hey, just kidding about the floor. Seriously, welcome to the world of mountain-biking.
Thanks for all the congrats guys. I will look into those pedals that someone mentioned, above.

LOL I agree about the floor, unfortunately my basement was flooded during a heavy 3 day rain storm, so I had no choice, had to rip the floors up, they were destroyed :mad:

#10 ·
mavven said:
LOL I agree about the floor, unfortunately my basement was flooded during a heavy 3 day rain storm, so I had no choice, had to rip the floors up, they were destroyed :mad:
Every time I complain about the weather this season, I have only to look at the news and realize how good I have it.

At least your priorities are in order: new bike before new floor :thumbsup:

#14 ·
s0ckeyeus said:
And now he can ride his bike in the basement without feeling guilty. :thumbsup:
LOL YEP! :thumbsup: I actually have to have the entire outside of my home dug down all the way to the foundation, then it will have to be resealed and waterproofed. Total cost ranges anywhere from 10-18K... That is not happening anytime soon in this economy, saving little by little to get it done.

#16 ·
gemini9 said:
Nice bike! I like! Congrats on your new purchase. Hopefully you can get your house repaired. But hey, even if your house needs work, you've got an awesome bike! Screw the house!

Hmmm. I like those tires. Not too smooth, not too knobby. What are they?
Pretty easy to see from they pictures that they're Bontrager XR2's.

#20 ·
I have same bike! you gotta swap them tires and pedals both are just dangerous. I'll post pictures when I get home. You have to wear your brakes in little by little, they will squeak. Consider getting some cone wrenches to tighten the hubs cause mine seem to get loose pretty quick.

#26 ·
Inf3rn0_44 said:
Hey Inferno, this is my first bike and you are dead on about the pedals, I can't stand them. FTR I have only put 2 miles on the bike, I have a physical agility test coming up, for my local Police Department, so I am not chancing riding trails until after the test.

Once I complete the test, I will be changing the pedals, as far as the tires are concerned, could you please elaborate some more, as to why they are dangerous? And as I stated I am new to all of this, you mentioned a cone wrench to tighten the hub? I look forward to hearing back from you.

I'm glad you posted here, I hope you can teach me a few things :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.