Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

PMP-Trail routing FAIL

1K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  Grave9 
#1 ·
SOOO today I thought it would be a great idea to ride the bike home from the shop via the PMP. So I looked at that map and thought sure I can go up squaw peak drive and take Trail 304 over the crest down to familiar ground and trail 100. I have hiked up to piestawa/squaw peak but never went over trail 304 before so didn't know what I was in for. WOW. Let's just say its not a trail that is ridable GOING UP unless you have some SERIOUS SKILLS. I ended up hiking up the steps with my bike on my back for about a quarter of a mile and "summited". Nice ride down into Trail 100 land. Just thought I'd share the adventure...

#5 ·
skinny-tire said:
I think he's talking about the trail that drops down to Piwesta parking lot. We used to do it about once a week. The last part is pretty much all HAB.
Yes, you are right now that I reread it. If it were ever clear of hikers it'd be a fun bomb down but I know I couldn't climb it. I started down it one day thinking it was the easiest route to 8B. Got 5 or 6 steps down it and stopped because of all the hikers I saw ahead and I knew I'd never get back up it.

#10 ·
big0mike said:
Yes, you are right now that I reread it. If it were ever clear of hikers it'd be a fun bomb down but I know I couldn't climb it. I started down it one day thinking it was the easiest route to 8B. Got 5 or 6 steps down it and stopped because of all the hikers I saw ahead and I knew I'd never get back up it.
They get out of your way.

#11 ·
Blatant said:
Yep, sounds like he's talking about the section that drops into the parking lot on Lincoln. Fun stuff. The wash at the bottom is the reason my finger is all crooked.
That is indeed the trail. On the north side it splits into two trails (one is the cactus garden trail I think). But on the south side it's mainly STEPS or very tight travel most of the way. I started riding up and then off the bike and carry and then back on and off and on and off and finally I said forget it I am just carrying it up. It was around 6:30pm so no hikers but I did contend with some darkness on the downhill run and I forgot my light at home. I don't know how you could ever ride it up. I personally wouldn't even want to ride it down. For the record I won't be going back UP that way again, likely ever.

#12 ·
I love coming down that trail, 304 I think it is, the one that finishes with the climb out of the wash that puts you on the west side of that top parking area at the end of the road. It's a great little piece to develop tech skills on as lone as it's not prime hiking/trail running time.

#14 ·
Blatant said:
Yep, sounds like he's talking about the section that drops into the parking lot on Lincoln. Fun stuff. The wash at the bottom is the reason my finger is all crooked.
Is that where you snapped it? I thought it was on that gnarly 8b section?

skinny-tire said:
They get out of your way.
Thankfully, they usually do. Usually. From past threads you know they don't always... :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.