Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Bent WTB speed disc rim

2K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  AndrwSwitch 
#1 ·
I was going to post this in the WHEEL forum but since i'm just a beginner :thumbsup: i figured it's more appropriate to post here.

Bent the dang front rim on a small jump that I landed awkwardly (which ended up with me in barrel rolling a few feet and into a bush :madman: ). Anyway, brought it to my LBS and I guess it's too bent to do anything with. pics are below although it seems more bent than the pics show.

It's a WTB speed disc rim that came with my Moto 700HT . Do i simply look for a 26" disc rim for replacement? i'm on quite a budget, btw. LBS said they could get me a proper rim for 60+ tax (i forget the brand). then i found this WTB on Amazon. still looking for a better deal but not sure if there is any. I've been trying my local craigslist with no luck.

Am i looking for the right replacement? anything i need to know beside finding a 26" disc rim?

thanks...

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Are you buying a rim or a wheel?

$60 for a decent wheel is not bad. You might get a lower price online, but that's before you pay for shipping.

$60 for a rim is actually also not a bad deal, for nicer rims. But then it would have to be installed, and that's a PITA, and expensive if you have to pay someone to do it.

What brand of hub is that? I'm always annoyed when my friends throw out perfectly good hubs with the destroyed rims they're laced into...

#8 ·
It's a WTB speed disc rim that came with my Moto 700HT . Do i simply look for a 26" disc rim for replacement? i'm on quite a budget, btw. LBS said they could get me a proper rim for 60+ tax (i forget the brand). then i found this WTB on Amazon. still looking for a better deal but not sure if there is any. I've been trying my local craigslist with no luck.

#9 ·
Are you the OP, or is this just a really bad two days for WTB rims?

Are you looking for a complete front wheel, or just the rim?

Can you give a link to the specific WTB product you're considering? Why not call your LBS and get them to remind you what, exactly, they were proposing to sell you?

#11 ·
looks like sutindaya just quoted my original post... i think i'm the only one on this thread that bent a rim :D

the $60 for a double wall front wheel from Raleigh (black/red rim). it includes moving everything from my bent wheel (tires, hubs (i think), etc) onto the new rim. a WTB wheelset would cost about $140 IIRC

they also can order me a specialized double wall rim for $99.

#12 ·
Since its a disk brakes setup, you may have a go on fixing it. Take the tyre off and find some place (vice, maybe some concrete steps and couple of bricks) where you can get enough leverage and where you can work on small areas of the rim to bent it other way.
I had Mavic 117 rim bent in similar fashion, all 3 bike shops I asked made clear that it cannot be made absolutely true (which is not really important for disk wheel), so they all suggested either having a go myself on bending it back or replacing with new.

#13 ·
p0n3y said:
is "rim" the outter ring, and "wheel" the spokes, "rim" and hub together?
Exactly.

It's an important distinction, not just me being anal, because each element is available separately on the aftermarket and with bike component prices being as crazy as they are, $60 could buy either a complete wheel or just a rim or hub. Someone who wanted to could spend that much on spokes too, rims can easily cost more, and hubs can cost a few hundred. That's before getting into exotic stuff, which is priced even higher.

I've rebuilt wheels with a new rim and spokes, replaced just a hub, and will soon be replacing just the rim. I don't know that I'd reuse spokes on a badly tacoed wheel, but people sometimes do.

OP - Raleigh doesn't make wheels, to my knowledge. So it's something that's rebranded. That's not necessarily a problem, but it does make it hard to know what you're being offered. Specialized doesn't make anything, in a sense, but it's a little more meaningful to say that they make wheels, frames and the Future Shock - many of their offerings are made of stuff not available without their name on it. With a decent build, most double-walled rims ought to give a decent service life. Only Shimano still takes loose-ball hubs seriously anymore, so if it's another brand and has that type of bearing (Formula, rebranded Formula, cheap Specialized) it's probably not going to last that long. Personally, I wouldn't take a rim I had to bend back into shape off-road - once something's been stressed past yielding a couple times, it's going to be a bit funky until it breaks the rest of the way - but that's my opinion.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.