Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Bent Chainstay - Opinions

3K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  great_big_abyss 
#1 ·
#5 ·
^^^ agree with this. I think only the crease in the last picture is not supposed to be there. Bike tubes have a lot of odd little dents and dimples by design, to make room for the crank, cassette, etc. I'd say if it's smooth and the paint's not weird, it's probably there on purpose.

If you can't get it warrantied, though, just keep an eye on that least crease. I wouldn't expect it to fail catastrophically all of a sudden, but if it starts cracking or the paint starts to flake around it, stop riding the bike.

#8 ·
They curve the chain and seat stays slightly to A) create clearance for tires, drivetrain, etc. B) soften up the ride slightly on Hardtails.

Don't worry about it. Also, the dent really shouldn't affect anything.

From the second picture though, looks like you might need a longer axle. When the quick release is closed, the inside faces of the dropouts is supposed to sit tight against the axle nuts.

#9 ·
bad mechanic said:
Yup, looks normal except for that dent in the last picture. However, I wouldn't worry about it too much due to its size and location. Just keep riding it like you usually would.
The Chain Stay is the horizontal piece of frame (two, really - one on each side of the wheel) that runs from the bottom bracket shell (where your cranks are attached) to the rear dropouts (where the wheel is attached). It forms the bottom arm of your rear triangle.

The seat stays run from the top of the seat tube (where you put your seatpost into the frame) diagonally down to the rear dropouts, and meet up with the chain stays. Again, one on either side of the rear wheel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.