Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Kenda Excavator DTC

3K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  tls36 
#1 ·
Thinking about trying some of these. Maybe a 2.1 rear and a 2.35 front. How do these work for the classic Phx area rocky but loose terrain?

If you run these, what pressures do you like and do they last?

For the record, not a fan of the Nevegal, especially on the front.

Other Kendas that you really like here in Phx.?

Thanks.

#2 ·
I had them for a bit and was NOT happy. Knobbies fell off and I didn't like the way they hooked up (especially at SoMo). I was running the Nevegals and honestly, that tire, while it has been hit or miss, has been my favorite for trails around here. Short and sweet, if you didn't like the Nevegals I would be hesitant to try the Excavators. Just my 2 cents...

#3 ·
My experience has been the exact opposite. I've been running those tires on my DH and trail bikes for over a year now and I'm completely happy with them. No problems with knobbies tearing and they wear very well. I'm running both the dual ply and kevlar versions. Cornering is exactly like I want, aggressive and predictable. I haven't tried the smaller version so I'm not sure how the handling/wear will change (I run 2.35 or 2.5). My pressures are usually 30 psi rear and 28 front.

#6 ·
Good info.

Thank you.

The excavator has very high ratings here on MTBR. But that is from riders all over. I found that while many like the Nevegal, I did not here in AZ.

So trying to get a feel for how AM riders here in AZ like the excavator for both front and rear applications. Also size and pressure.

Thanks again.

#7 ·
I really liked the Nevegal here for about a month or two until all the knobs started popping off. A year later I ended up with another one, but this one is a 2.3 UST instead of the 2.1 tubed that fell apart. It seems like it really makes a big difference on that tire between the two. The bigger UST version has been fine so far and performs pretty well. Don't know about the excavator though

#8 ·
I run the 2.5 nevegal ft and the 2.35 rear , I use the non UST stick-E version and they are run tubeless, I love these at somo .

I wear them out at about the 5 to 6 week mark ( I ride alot ) I am going to run the excavator here shortly when I run through my supply of nevegals , I have 2 set left so it wont be long now.
I have wanted to try these Excavators for some time now :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.