Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

opinions on this bike

1K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  bones72751 
#1 ·
Hey, I was just wondering what everyone thinks of my new bike. I picked it up for $125, put a little work in it, but it came with all the "upgrades". Its a Schwinn al comp. I put a subroutine xcm fork on with 100mm travel and adjustible preload, a giant double wall wheelset, 160mm disc brakes (cheap but works for now), 8 speed ef-51 trigger shifters and cassette. Its a Walmart bike, but I had an older model al comp and it worked great for me. All I do is go on local trails and single-track on weekends, so I didn't want anything expensive. Pic is in the link

http://bigboxbikes.com/download/file.php?id=139

#4 ·
Well, I haven't gotten the chance to ride this one yet due to the weather, bit when I had my previous al comp, which was a different frame design Rita work plenty well enough for what I put it through... and it was all stock. The frame seems strong enough, and everything except the drivetrain has been replaced with mostly all parts off a giant that had been run over (only frame damage). So, hopefully it'll work out just fine. It's not the lightest thing in the world, but right at 30# isn't something I'm gonna gripe about.

#10 ·
bones72751 said:
Ok, just seems like if I mounted it close to the hub it would read faster than if I mounted it by the rim.
No it wont.
The sensor reads wheel revolutions multiplied by wheel diameter to get speed.
Where you put the magnet is irelevant, whether its close to the hub or further out, one revolution is one revolution of the wheel, if the magnet is further out it will just have to travel faster around the diameter to complete the revolution but this is irelevant
Doe that make sense?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.