Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

New Genesis v2100....Help?

84K views 70 replies 17 participants last post by  gemini9 
#1 ·
I recently purchased (from Wal-Mart, no less) a Genesis v2100. The front disk brake is ok, being made in Taiwan (the company is some Artek company?). The gear shift is Shimano which is great. I have a Planet Bike light and a Bell speedometer. My main worry is that the front fork suspension seems a bit tight...I'll add a link to the photos and ask for anyone's opinion on whether the bike is decent for riding the mountains lightly or not. Also if I should swap out the front fork suspension with something like a Rock Shox setup or what-have-you. Thanks for any help! :confused: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/fbx/?set=a.1700056353368.2082143.1596699250&l=204f68007b

#3 · (Edited)
lol this is the same bike I bought last month. In my experience, the bike is actually a decent build. The drive train and brakes are pretty good considering it's price, but the shocks were terrible. The v2100 would be a great commuter bike and very acceptable on hardpack and light trails. Shifts smooth and stops on a dime. But the suspension is lacking and wouldn't be any good on rugged mountain trails. I ended up selling my V2100 and got a bike from bikesdirect.com. If you're going to spend another $150 on a rockshox fork, that would put you in the $300 total for the bike, in which case, you'd be better off gettin ga bike from www.bikesdirect.com

If money is an issue, the V2100 is a good bike for it's price and IMO, it's better than the Mongoose and greatly surpasses the Next bikes.

The suspension on your front fork only has about 30 or 50 mm of travel and the preload is set for a 160 pound person and yes, they do rebound rather quickly. Can't be adjusted. The forks are crap.

I ended up with a Windsor 4900 from bikes direct. A friend now has the V2100.

If you want my advice, if you plan on doing any Downhill, Uphill or long cross country trips, you might be better doing what I did. Sell the V2100 and go to Bikesdirect.com and get a $300-$400 bike. You'll notice the difference in mechanical quality as soon as you pull it out of the box.

#4 ·
Thanks you two. I will end up riding the bike the way it is for a while until I get more onto the mountain trails, at which point I probably will upgrade the front fork and perhaps the mid-shock as well (though I do not see much problme with it....yet). I too noticed the small amount of give in the front fork suspension but like you noted as well, the body seems to be a great solid build. The Genesis company is actually opening a website (http://www.genbikes.com/) in about 4 days. So I am looking forward to seeing what it is all about. As you can clearly tell I am new here but wish to become an long-time member. Thank you both for your help and if you have any further advice I am humbly willing to accept. I do not wish to sell the bike per se, rather I would build upon it and replace parts etc as needed/necessary.

#5 ·
Well in that case, welcome to the forums. Fair warning tho, everybody here will try to talk you into taking the walmart ride back lol. Just keep in mind that they're just trying to offer their personal opinions and look out for you, so don't take offense to any of it. In truth, building on a Walmart bike is risky. The last bike I had from walmart was a Mongoose and it wasn't that good. My girlfriends family all bought Next bikes and they are just terrible. As much as I'd like to see you with a bike from bikesdirect, do what you want to do and if you decide to get a better ride later on, I do highly recommend the B.D. site for future reference.

But no matter what you decide, you're welcome in the forums! Have fun riding! Looking forward to seeing you around.

PS, saw your ride in your profile. The cable lock you have won't work. Thieves can break those rope locks in seconds. Keep the bike if you want to, but please get a good U-lock to go along with the cable. And check out this video:

#6 · (Edited)
gemini9 said:
Fair warning tho, everybody here will try to talk you into taking the walmart ride back lol.
Not everybody.

The cable lock you have won't work. Thieves can break those rope locks in seconds.
Have you ever seen those cable locks used on laptop computers? Some have alarms built in. About a decade ago I did some testing on those for the company I worked for at the time. Among other things, the brand we were testing had cables thin enough to be cut with office scissors. With a bike cable lock, it's probably just a matter of getting bigger scissors.

#7 · (Edited)
gemini9 said:
lol this is the same bike I bought last month. In my experience, the bike is actually a decent build.
No offence, but you don't really have the experience.

Lochcelious said:
...at which point I probably will upgrade the front fork and perhaps the mid-shock as well...
Do not upgrade anything on that bike. It's simply not worth it. Just save your money and buy a better bike.

#9 ·
bad mechanic said:
No offence, but you don't really have the experience.
Well, true. With the overall mtb scene I'm rather inexperienced. But I have seen and ridden the exact bike he purchased (for a month and half) and am able to compare it to the Windsor I'm riding now. Yes, there is a big difference in the two and I agree that if an exchange is possible, to go with a better bike. My new Windsor is much better than the v2100, but it did cost a bit more. But for $150, it's decent for hardpack and pavement. But if you read the rest of my statements, I did say that it's not going to cut it he's going to be be on any trails and also said that it's not worth upgrading.

Some people don't have $400 to spend on a mountain bike and don't have much of a choice. For some, $150 is the limit. Just saying that if I had to choose between a Walmart Goose, Next, Huffy, or Gen, I'd grab up the Gen.

But I can understand your point and admit that I have got allot to learn about the sport, which is why I'm hanging out in the beginners area. :) Just offering my 2 pennies.

PS, nah. No offense taken. :) Just including myself in the conversation.

#10 ·
Sorry I don't have 5-8,000 bucks to dish out on some sick Specialized (I see some of the bikes people have here). I will do what I will with what I have. I already spent 150 on the bike, what can I do now? Take it back? I would feel dumb doing so, not to mention not having had it for long. So I should save and buy a new one (Already?) down the road? Fine. I'll see what I can do. Thanks for being the only one to welcome me and making me feel welcome, Gemini.

#11 ·
I apologize to all here. That was an unnecessary lash-out and certainly did not leave a good first impression. After thinking about it a bit, I have decided to take you all up on the offer. I am going to leave at once (after removing the stuff I have added to the bike) to return the bike to wal-mart and will properly order a bike from the website you mentioned later today. Thank you all for your help...now I just have to say...any suggestions on what to buy?

#12 ·
I don't know how close you are to Portland (your profile says OR), but I'd keep my eye on craigslist. Portland is kinda known for having a great bike culture.

Bikes Direct(.com) is another option, if you want a new bike. They get mixed reviews here, but I've dealt with them in the past and have nothing but good things to say.

As far as the Wally bike goes, we didn't intend to sound offensive, but number of threads here about Walmart bikes is staggering. And I've only been here a week or two! But it really isn't worth putting money into one of those bikes.

Edit: And I left out the obvious suggestion of visiting your local bike shop.

#14 ·
Lochcelious said:
After watching that vid, looks like im returning the bike lock as well. Thanks for that...any suggestiuons on a bike lock also?
This is scary to hear, but no lock is really a good lock. It's like this, it takes a couple seconds to snip a cable lock or pick a number lock. It takes a LITTLE longer to get through a u-lock. If you have a u-lock and a cable lock both, it will give you about a minute or two because different tools are required for different locks. No matter what lock you use, a good thief can break it quick. (a portable battery op grinder can cut any lock in 30 seconds or less. There was guy in here a few days ago, locked his bike up, went into gamestop, game out and his brand new bike was GONE. Bike theft is very high, especially on campus. The best advice anybody can give you, is get both a u-lock and a cable lock and don't leave your bike by itself unless you absolutely HAVE to. My bike is kept right behind me here, in my room.

If you are taking the walmart bike back and they won't take it, try this:
break it... well don't break it.. just take out a screw or something and take it to a different walmart. Tell them you've been having trouble with it ever since you got it that parts keep breaking and you want to return it. If they don't give you refund, at least ask for a gift card with the purchase amount. Many people would buy that gift card off you for it's value. Or you could use it to buy your pump, gloves, helmet and stuff.

I had no trouble at all when I ordered from bikesdirect and I got a better deal than I would have at the bike shop. If you go that route, spend at least $300. Many of the $300 bikes are sold out, but a representative told me they will be restocking soon so you may want to shoot them an email if a bike you want isn't in stock. they might be getting more tomorrow. You're only problem will be getting the brakes and gears adjusted. Putting it together is easy. Pedals, handlebars and front wheel.

#16 ·
Right now, many of their bikes are sold out but the rep told me last week they are expecting a shipment of new bikes in 3 weeks (two weeks now).
Hardtails: They don't break as easy and you can get a better grade bike for your money. From what I understand, even a $300-$400 full suspension bike wouldn't be worth it. But you're right, hardtails seem to the majority of voters. I know it sounds like a "downgrade" from your full suspension walmart, but a good hardtail is awesome.

It's been raining all day so I've been computer bound for several hours. Sigh. I hate the rain season.

When I was looking and comparing, I was looking at the Dawes Haymakers, Windsor Cliffs and the Motobecane series bikes. All similar in price and similar entry level parts. Have to find one that fits tho. How tall are you?

#19 ·
#21 ·
Lochcelious said:
I've decided I'm going to buy a full suspension. I was raised on it and never had problems (albeit broken axles when I was younger; my "style" was uncoordinatedly rough on the urban terrain). I'm thinking the Motobecane DS series. Now it comes down to whether the features in the 700DS are worth upgrading from the 600DS. Any suggestions? 600DS: http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/600ds.htm
700DS: http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/700ds_x.htm
No Offence.

It has been said before and will be said again in the future. If you only have $500 to $600 to spend on a bike. Buy a HARDTAIL either new from BD if you like or a second hand bike.

If you want a "full suspension" bike to look cool riding around on bike paths buy a $500 squishy. As soon as you ride it in a proper offroad area you will regret it and possibly end up damaging the bike and yourself.

It's your money spend it how you wish.

#23 ·
gemini9 said:
If money is an issue, the V2100 is a good bike for it's price and IMO, it's better than the Mongoose and greatly surpasses the Next bikes.
No. At this price point it's always a mistake buying full suspension. Think about how much the extra labor, parts, and material to make it full suspension drags down the overall quality of the bike to hit that price point. If you only have $150 to spend, and if you absolutely HAVE to buy it at Walmart, then definitely don't buy a full suspension bike. Just buy the nicest hardtail you can get for your money.

More features isn't always a good thing when it comes at the cost of quality.

#25 ·
I duno why people immediately down the walmart bikes. Not everybody really NEEDS an expensive 500 bike. I would think It depends on the riding conditions. If someone is looking to spend some time with the family and ride up and down the road or around the neighborhood, or even down a short hardpack trail for 30 minutes or an hour tops, I don't think they have to spend 500 dollars on a bike Let's say you want the fam to spend some time together and go for one of those 30 min rideson an occasional Sunday. Ya gotta buy you, your wife, and the 2 kids a bike. that's 2 thousand bucks for a half hour-hour ride in the park. :rolleyes:

If your hitting the outdoor trails, long 4 hour rides from home, XS, DH or whatever, of course you're going to need a better bike.

I'm still pretty new, so I can't say for sure, but I duno. I just can't see somebody spending 500 on a bike just to ride to the park.:confused:

I do understand they are built cheap and in most cases you should get a better bike, but what if it's somethign that will just sit in the garage all week and only brought out an occasional Sunday?

But I'm just rambling lol In any case, yes I agree that a $500 hardtail is better than a $500 FS. As is a $2k HT is better than a $2k FS and a $150 HT is better than a $150 FS.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.