Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Riding with the Future

894 views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  GilaMonster 
#1 ·
This weekend I got a chance to ride with the future. I was awaiting the arrival of some riders for one type of ride and when they didn't show I decided I would wait until someone I knew came along to ride with. Well it ends up that one of people who I was awaiting decided to ride with his kids that morning instead.

We rode out of fantasy island with the 2 boys rocking it on their 20" specialized hardrocks.

Diminutive but eager they rolled out in the lead:
IMG_5609

Riding everything they can:
IMG_5612

Concentration painted on their faces:
IMG_5614

Descending with conviction:
IMG_5620

Climbing the loose and rocky ascents:
IMG_5624

Working on their technique!
IMG_5627

Leading out the older folks whenever they could:
IMG_5628

Braaap!
IMG_5632

Why would you rather be home playing video games?
IMG_5644

The hard gully:
IMG_5651

The dad assist hill descent mode:
IMG_5653

Finish strong!
IMG_5660

So I saw the future and it looks great!

See less See more
#4 ·
I have got to say that it was one of the most enjoyable rides I have had in a long time. It wasn't long, it wasn't hard and it wasn't epic but listening to the enjoyment and glee in their voices as they sped along, descended, hit jumps, slid around corners and just struggled with the things we all do while riding kept a smile on my face the whole loop around the island.

My wife donated her sidis to one of the boys and their mother donate hers to the other but he chose to not wear them this ride and the difference between how well his clipless brother did compared to him was enough to convince him that he won't ride without them again.

As a little experiment we had twin boys on identical bikes, set up identically, one riding in normal shoes and one riding with clipless pedals. While the boy with the clipless pedals fell on climbs more when he couldn't clip out when stalled out, they both walked the same clips after he dusted off. However in sections where rocky terrain and 20" tires cause a bouncy ride, or climbs required serious effort the non-clipless brother bounced off and pull off his pedals while his brother cleaned every section.

Twins make science easy. Now I just can't wait until my youths (1/2 and 2 1/2 yrs old) are 10-ish so we can test this out too!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.