Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Chop Saw Chainrings

5K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  MarcusSommers 
#1 ·
I did a forum search but didnt come up with anything. Anybody tried these? http://www.porkchopbmx.com/Chainwheels-Chainrings_c82.htm
Apparently they are put out by a bmx company, but the weights dont seem bmx at all. 40g for 36t and 50g for 39t.

4 bolt 104bcd, so I dont see any reason it wouldn't work great for mtb.

Cheap, light, good looking, and comes in odd sizes and rad colors. Almost seems too good to be true. Am I missing something?

#8 ·
Hi all - I own Porkchop BMX. The company that I have make these rings have done tests where they've sent out 6061 and 7075 versions of the same rings to various pro riders to use without telling them which is which and asked them to subject both to similar (and preferably harsh) conditions. In all cases, when they've received the rings back, there were no differences in wear characteristics and none broke. They've proven 7075 is overkill for a properly engineered chainring and I opt for 6061 because anodizing is much brighter on 6061, which makes my old school customers happy. :)

#9 ·
I did a forum search but didnt come up with anything. Anybody tried these? Chop Saw Chainrings from Porkchop BMX Bicycle BMX parts old school BMX[/url]
Apparently they are put out by a bmx company, but the weights dont seem bmx at all. 40g for 36t and 50g for 39t.

4 bolt 104bcd, so I dont see any reason it wouldn't work great for mtb.

Cheap, light, good looking, and comes in odd sizes and rad colors. Almost seems too good to be true. Am I missing something?
As far as weights, these are designed for race - not park and other versions of BMX that have to be bulked up because of grinding and other abuse. As long as chain alignment is spot on, these can take any torque you can dish out (I've put them through the paces at 255 lbs with 180mm crank arms.. any physics majors out there can confirm that's not a very nice thing to do to a chainring).

As far as pricing, we are Internet-only with no phone calls, so I'm able to keep our overhead extremely low (while shipping all orders in less than 24 hours)....

#10 ·
my email alert just brought me back to the thread. figure it's about time for an update. been using it for primarily street use/occasional dirt jumping, and i gotta say it's still as good as the day i got it. i'm running a kmc z510h chain, and i've got no complaints. i'm about 180lbs, and ride pretty hard- it's a quality product. :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.