Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Whiskey Off-Road 2011

5K views 64 replies 36 participants last post by  iknowclint 
#1 ·
Woohoo, signed up for my first time at WOR. 25 mile SS. :)

#6 ·
WhiskersOfDeath said:
Geared is bad enough....but on a SS? That's just crazy talk.:crazy:
B, I don't know about the 50, I don't want any part of that, but I can tell you that with the 25, having done it SS and geared, that it is EASIER on an SS! Better to just hammer those climbs, than sit and spin until you lose your will to live! Hard to believe, I know, but truly, it's SO much climbing, that anything that helps get that part over with, is a Godsend!!!

#7 ·
Grunion said:
As a rigid SS newbie, and my riding schedule - I honestly don't think I could finish the WOR 50 in any reasonable time. I don't manage to make the time to get out on long rides like that... I think the 25 will be plenty hard enough for me on the rigid ss as it is.

For those that have ridden the 25 before, how is the steepness of the climbs compared to say Bell or Windgate? I can look at grades on my software, but that doesn't always tell the full story. Plus Prescott is at far higher elevation than the Phoenix Metro area - that definitely takes it out of you.

#8 ·
randyharris said:
As a rigid SS newbie, and my riding schedule - I honestly don't think I could finish the WOR 50 in any reasonable time. I don't manage to make the time to get out on long rides like that... I think the 25 will be plenty hard enough for me on the rigid ss as it is.

For those that have ridden the 25 before, how is the steepness of the climbs compared to say Bell or Windgate? I can look at grades on my software, but that doesn't always tell the full story. Plus Prescott is at far higher elevation than the Phoenix Metro area - that definitely takes it out of you.
You will be fine.

50 sucks.

I think the 25 grades are very similar to what I have felt in the Mcdowells. Not as steep at Tom's thumb. All the road is climbable, some spots on the ST where you will be pushing.

Mainly you will be in pain from the downhills.

#9 ·
I've done the 50 and the 25, I also did the 25 on geared and SS and would say the 25 single speed is the most fun. On a rigid I would not recommend, that is going to hurt at the end but I'll be with you this year. I will try the 50 SS in 2012 but this year one more time for the 25.

#12 ·
For those who want to REALLY experience the trails around Prescott, two weeks earlier (April 16) is the Prescott Monstercross http://rockyroad5050.wordpress.com/pm/.

This is my favorite of the AES races that I've done so far. It hits all the best trails while doing a big loop around Prescott. And for those of us with budgetary constraints - it's free!

If nothing else, you can consider it training for the Whiskey.

--Jeff

#14 ·
dtownmtb said:
For those who want to REALLY experience the trails around Prescott, two weeks earlier (April 16) is the Prescott Monstercross http://rockyroad5050.wordpress.com/pm/.

This is my favorite of the AES races that I've done so far. It hits all the best trails while doing a big loop around Prescott. And for those of us with budgetary constraints - it's free!

If nothing else, you can consider it training for the Whiskey.

--Jeff
Agreed.

#17 ·
I'll probably bite the bullet and pay it this year, 50SS. I need to improve on last year's poor performance.
I figure the price increase is buying my ticket to the pro race the following day. I've never seen one and this is the cheapest way to see the big boys (and girls) roll.
I hope the show is worth it!
Cheers,
M

#18 ·
idaz said:
I'll probably bite the bullet and pay it this year, 50SS. I need to improve on last year's poor performance.
I figure the price increase is buying my ticket to the pro race the following day. I've never seen one and this is the cheapest way to see the big boys (and girls) roll.
I hope the show is worth it!
Cheers,
M
FYI: you can watch most pro bike races for free:) This one included.

#19 ·
randyharris said:

For the 25, the climbs will be fine. I'd say similar to the McDowells, but if memory serves, not as long.

Something I'm more familiar with that I think is comparable in terms of grade is that climb that heads due east on T100, as you cross under the Cave Creek tunnel. The trail that parallels the side street off CC.

#20 ·
skinny-tire said:
For the 25, the climbs will be fine. I'd say similar to the McDowells, but if memory serves, not as long.

Something I'm more familiar with that I think is comparable in terms of grade is that climb that heads due east on T100, as you cross under the Cave Creek tunnel. The trail that parallels the side street off CC.
that's a good steep grade up towards the top, and of course miles shorter.

#21 ·
randyharris said:
that's a good steep grade up towards the top, and of course miles shorter.
I'm thinking more the stuff that is lower on the climb. Based on your comment, I'm assuming you're looking for something to ride to train then? Two words: Shaw Butte X 5.

It's been 3-4 years since I did the WoR, and I did the 50, so I had about 12-miles of shitboring climbs before I hit the hill I'm thinking of. I also did it geared, so I had that crutch. Let me put it this way: I survivied :).

You'll do fine!

#22 ·
TacoBeer said:
I just signed up, holy crap did the price go up. This may be the last year I do this event, $102 for an amateur race is too much, shame.
I was gonna do it this year but now, not so much. Todd raised the rate to help pay the PRO purse of $20k. Money's on the line so watch how many pro's line up and pound each other for it. $102 is a lot of moola for one SAG stop and a whole lot of suffering.

#24 ·
Cato said:
I was gonna do it this year but now, not so much. Todd raised the rate to help pay the PRO purse of $20k. Money's on the line so watch how many pro's line up and pound each other for it. $102 is a lot of moola for one SAG stop and a whole lot of suffering.
The city of Prescott must have kicked in some cold hard cash towards the Pro Class purse,no? Todd's bringing a few thousand folks to town who will be spending plenty of $$$ at the local level. The bars, restaraunts, hotels and other downtown establishments will be the big winners.:thumbsup:

#26 ·
Damn, I guess I'll have to continue to ride the trails around Prescott for free. As far as 50 vs 25, I'd be interested in the 50 (but not at $104) if it was interesting, but it's just out and back on a graded dirt road. The 25 has a lot of variety, ups and downs, more and more singletrack every year, and so on. There are better ways around Prescott to rack up ultra-milege.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.