Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

is 170 grams noticeable?

2K views 25 replies 17 participants last post by  skiz 
#1 ·
I'm considering upgrading my FSA Gap crankset with Saints. I'll save about 170 grams, just over 1/3 of a lb. I'm just starting to consider lighter components for a rebuild. Is 1/3 of a pound noticeable or should I skip it and look elsewhere?

#2 ·
not unless you're picking it up often and even then not so much. shave that much from your wheels/tires and you'll notice it. however, 170g here and there will certainly add up quickly.

#7 ·
Like others have said, you're not gonna notice a 1/3lbs reduction if it's low and centered like your cranks are. You're best working your way from outside in, then top to bottom when lightening up your bike.

#8 ·
good info guys, thanks. I kind of knew this. Was secretly was hoping you'd say that 170 grams at the crankset was the difference between me and Greg Minaar. Unfortunately $300 is above my personal line of "what the hell" money, so I'll keep it practical for now

#14 ·
tacubaya said:
Dude just take a crap before you go riding... there.... instant weight reduction
your logic is flawed. taking a crap before you ride with a 30 lb bike is still going to be heavier than taking a crap before riding a 29.75 lb bike. it cancels out and therefore is redundant.

#20 ·
rugbyred said:
What do you expect from someone who supports the Maple Laughs and has a mayor who believes it is the cyclist's fault when a motorist runs them over.

Eric
i'm not from toronto, bro. and i don't know what "my" mayor believes because i didn't vote for him.

#21 ·
no, waste of money.

Good tips on starting at the wheels, but also consider how many $ per gram you are spending. I notice that upgrades are typically $1 per gram, I try to spend a lot less than that if possible. So spending $300 to save 170g might not be economical. I just saw Sunilne dh wheelset on chainlove for $300, and it is about 500g lighter than Azonic Outlaws. This would be a very noticeable upgrade and worth the $ if you ride a lot and can afford it, just for example...

#26 ·
Yeah when a cyclist gets hit in Toronto, odds are its their fault... have you see the amount of retards on bikes in Toronto? They need to take their ****ing headphones off when they ride in traffic and preform regular shoulder checks.... Its not legal for someone in a car to wear headphones in both ears while operating a car why should it be any different for a cyclist?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.