Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Which frame/option?

• 05 Kona Howler w/ coil shock

Votes: 0 0.0%

Framed!

2K views 28 replies 15 participants last post by  hozzerr1 
#1 ·
ok, so im selling my fork certainly, and for the sake of my m1 decided to buy a new fork first, (probably an old 03 or 05 boxxer, and get avvy rebuild later) and only get a frame which i will build up asap. the three frame options on the table now are:

1: 06 (i think) intense tazer, long, fits 6' comfortably. ($350-400) trying to get a deal for 350

2: 03 enduro sx. mix of jump bike with trail riding maybe? comes with fork. ($350 for it all)

3: 05 kona howler ($350 for frame and coil shock)

after my fork sells ill have just enough for one of these deals, and a new fork. what do you think. are any of these frames worth getting? or should i invest in a really really nice fork? ro should i get the old boxxer, and save up for a better ss bike?

i have been riding the cdale much more just because its weight, it pedals worse (as far and uphills and stuff, i know its complicated) than my m1, but its weight makes it easier.

im looking for a bike easier to pedal than my m1 that is begging to jump. if the bike is right i may try some dual slalom next year.

REALLY sorry bout all my bike threads. hopefully this one is final.

See less See more
#7 ·
the tazer is fs, really sick. i dont have 750 to blow on a new boxxer though. im thinking about getting a 2005 boxxer and the tazer, and getting the avvy rebuild on the boxxer before next season starts, when i really start riding my big bike again.

sorry climbingbubba, i know its rediculous. this will be the last one fer sure.

#8 ·
Lunchbox362 said:
This one has very concrete offers.......don't be a jerk, just help him yeah?
not being a jerk at all, his last one had a few "concrete" offers as well.

Just trying to help him. He seems to be trying to gain respect here and this is not the way to do it.

and to moosey: just save a little extra money to get something nice. When your buying used $200 more really can get you a lot more. There are a few complete bottlerockets on pinkbike right now that are under $1500. You can get a transition double complete for close to that too.

There was a banshee rune that went for $890 on ebay, thats even a complete.

crazy deals right now. save your money and buy something nice. you will be glad you did later.

#9 ·
climbingbubba said:

Just trying to help him. He seems to be trying to gain respect here and this is not the way to do it.

and to moosey: just save a little extra money to get something nice. When your buying used $200 more really can get you a lot more. There are a few complete bottlerockets on pinkbike right now that are under $1500. You can get a transition double complete for close to that too.

crazy deals right now. save your money and buy something nice. you will be glad you did later.
+1:thumbsup:

#10 ·
If you're looking for a good fork that'll last you a few years without crapping out, I'd personally stay away from forks that old. I've seen how people treat their older gear, and that many years of abuse on a 03 or 05 DH fork might end up being a big waste of your cash in the long run. If I had a fork that old, I'd be beating the crap out of it and not caring one bit.

Of your frame choices, the Kona is probably the most 'slopestyle-ish.' That said, all the frames are definitely on the older-school side of geometry. They're probably not going to be all that much better than your M1 at pedaling. Even if the price is right, I'd probably steer clear of them. You'd get far less performance for your dollar than if you waited and saved. I know the feeling of wanting to get a new ride though. Sucks. I waited over 6 years before I got mine. Worth the wait.

#11 ·
Hell buy a SC Bullit they are cheap and an absolute blast to ride, stout good jump freeride geo and pedal really well for a SP...
Id pick another one up to go bash on for sure, we used to ride em urban and that damn thing was a blast not to mention easy to manuever....

Just a thought...

#15 ·
Save your money kid. You can think of it in two ways...

1. Blow all your cash on something that's OLD, potentially jankey, and then spend the next 6 months to a year throwing more money at the problem to make it what you want... More likely than not at the end of those 6 months to a year you're going to want something else.

2. Save your money for the next 6 months to a year and you'll be able to buy a really awesome used bike, something that'll have current geo's and a more current parts build. Then you'll have a bike that won't need constand upgrading and you'll want to hang onto it for a while because it'll actually be a worthwhile and cool bike.

Or you could do what so many others do and not listen to sound logical advice and buy a 2003 "trailbike" and try to convert it and use it for slopestyle only to fail miserably and be bitter at the hard lesson learned. I know you're horny to blow your wad right now, but trust me and save your money. You'll have more down the road and it'll only open up better possibilities for you.

#17 ·
yea just save your money. TRUST ME. For the longest time I was trying make an xc bike into something it was not. I got my first job, saved up for a couple of months and I ended up with a flatline that I found for a really good deal because it was used as a rental bike for a season. Then just last week I bought a brand new 2010 66 rc3 for $250. Bikes (and the parts for them) are like buses, there is always going to be another one to come along. The trick is to wait until you find something worth spending money on. There are thousands of bikes on the market right now, keep searching, be smart, dont get too attached to any single bike, and eventually you will find the "one".

#18 ·
alright i understand. ill probably look into a 09-10 boxxer then. just got this offer like 5 mins ago from a special person.

$300 for this frame, only ridden one season, but its a burly AM version of the frame that jumps.

Bicycle frame White Line Font Black

or could get a felt compulsion frame for $500

Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel Tire Wheel

The Virtue looks sick

this will probably be my last ask about a bike / frame for a while cause i just got this offer about 5 mins ago.

#19 ·
climbingbubba said:

Not tryin to bag on ya, just sayin if this had been what you initially posted I would've just said solid advice haha, listen to this guy

#20 ·
Moosey said:
alright i understand. ill probably look into a 09-10 boxxer then. just got this offer like 5 mins ago from a special person.

$300 for this frame, only ridden one season, but its a burly AM version of the frame that jumps.

View attachment 583027

or could get a felt compulsion frame for $500

View attachment 583028

The Virtue looks sick

this will probably be my last ask about a bike / frame for a while cause i just got this offer about 5 mins ago.
Moosey, seriously stop. You're doing a very good job of picking frames that are going to be far from what you actually intend to do with them. It seems like you're just picking anything that your budget can allow and thinking ways in your head to make them do what you want. Those are nowhere near a bike that'll be good for slopestyle/ dirt jumping/ or slalom. One is a heavy xc/trail frame. Another is a heavy am frame. Seriously man, I understand. You're 15 and you want a collection of bikes. But you can either have a collection of garbage that really doesn't fit your needs but was cheap, or a smaller and more well thought out collection that does everything you want to do without making a sacrifice. In short, save your money so you can buy something you really want and not just something that'll fit the bill.

Buy the 09 boxxer if you want. BUT (and theres a big but) dh resorts like Northstar won't be open till June. By then you can save up to buy a great fork in great shape a few weeks to a month before opening day. Unless you have killer dh where you live that isn't covered in snow right now there is no need to immediately buy parts for a bike that'll sit in your garage all winter. If you can use that money towards your frame... Well then maybe you'll be able to afford something that'll suit your needs better.

This is kind of the dillema of putting all your money into one dh bike and then realizing that there's a lot of other riding out there that a dh won't perform too well at... Kinda why a dh bike should never be your first or only bike.

#21 ·
his dudeness said:
Moosey, seriously stop. You're doing a very good job of picking frames that are going to be far from what you actually intend to do with them. It seems like you're just picking anything that your budget can allow and thinking ways in your head to make them do what you want. Those are nowhere near a bike that'll be good for slopestyle/ dirt jumping/ or slalom. One is a heavy xc/trail frame. Another is a heavy am frame. Seriously man, I understand. You're 15 and you want a collection of bikes. But you can either have a collection of garbage that really doesn't fit your needs but was cheap, or a smaller and more well thought out collection that does everything you want to do without making a sacrifice. In short, save your money so you can buy something you really want and not just something that'll fit the bill.

Buy the 09 boxxer if you want. BUT (and theres a big but) dh resorts like Northstar won't be open till June. By then you can save up to buy a great fork in great shape a few weeks to a month before opening day. Unless you have killer dh where you live that isn't covered in snow right now there is no need to immediately buy parts for a bike that'll sit in your garage all winter. If you can use that money towards your frame... Well then maybe you'll be able to afford something that'll suit your needs better.

This is kind of the dillema of putting all your money into one dh bike and then realizing that there's a lot of other riding out there that a dh won't perform too well at... Kinda why a dh bike should never be your first or only bike.
that compulsion is zinks bike...

i still have the cannondale for lighter neighborhood riding. the only issue with holing off on a fork is i got the bike for my birthday and my parents think it should be ridable, so they think i should get a new fork asap. Even then a 09 boxxer is all i would realy need right? i dotn feel the need to drop more than 400 on a new or used fork...

both of the bikes have been specailly strengthened and slightly modifued to jump and be strong...

#22 ·
Norcoshore1 said:
yea just save your money. TRUST ME. For the longest time I was trying make an xc bike into something it was not. I got my first job, saved up for a couple of months and I ended up with a flatline that I found for a really good deal because it was used as a rental bike for a season. Then just last week I bought a brand new 2010 66 rc3 for $250. Bikes (and the parts for them) are like buses, there is always going to be another one to come along. The trick is to wait until you find something worth spending money on. There are thousands of bikes on the market right now, keep searching, be smart, dont get too attached to any single bike, and eventually you will find the "one".
When I got my stinky 6 I was looking at more freeride bikes and a few downhill bikes but I choose this one because it could be pedaled around and has a granny ring so if I need the granny ring I have it and its not a full blow freeride or downhill, imo, and handles well for light of both. Again, if there is a chance to ride a bike for DS then do it and make your choice off that and you have all off season to do it :D

Oh and snow shouldn't stop you ;)

#23 ·
Moosey said:

the only issue with holing off on a fork is i got the bike for my birthday and my parents think it should be ridable, so they think i should get a new fork asap.

Spend $20 for a cheap straight fork. Problem solved, it's ridable/ Now you can save for a later model ,good, used fork, or even buy a new fork.:thumbsup:

#24 ·
Moosey said:

i still have the cannondale for lighter neighborhood riding. the only issue with holing off on a fork is i got the bike for my birthday and my parents think it should be ridable, so they think i should get a new fork asap. Even then a 09 boxxer is all i would realy need right? i dotn feel the need to drop more than 400 on a new or used fork...

both of the bikes have been specailly strengthened and slightly modifued to jump and be strong...
Cool, buy the frame and stick it on the wall to have for grins. Have you inquired about the bearings being replaced? Or the rear shock being rebuilt? Hows the headtube? Has it been ovalized yet? And if it's such a great frame why is he selling it for so cheap? He's a pro athlete dude, that frame is going to be haggard. I don't care how nice or rad he is, the frame isn't going to be in great functional shape... Kinda like buying one of Sam Hill's old Iron Horse Sunday's. It might be cool to have but I wouldn't ride it without replacing literally every bolt and bearing and rebuilding or replacing all of the suspension. Once again kid, it's your money that you'll be pissing away. But if you saved up for another 6 months you'd have a much better shot at getting something you won't have to strip and fully rebuild.

Buyer beware dude.

#26 ·
his dudeness said:
Cool, buy the frame and stick it on the wall to have for grins. Have you inquired about the bearings being replaced? Or the rear shock being rebuilt? Hows the headtube? Has it been ovalized yet? And if it's such a great frame why is he selling it for so cheap? He's a pro athlete dude, that frame is going to be haggard. I don't care how nice or rad he is, the frame isn't going to be in great functional shape... Kinda like buying one of Sam Hill's old Iron Horse Sunday's. It might be cool to have but I wouldn't ride it without replacing literally every bolt and bearing and rebuilding or replacing all of the suspension. Once again kid, it's your money that you'll be pissing away. But if you saved up for another 6 months you'd have a much better shot at getting something you won't have to strip and fully rebuild.

Buyer beware dude.
ha, i actually have zinks bike now, and it's pretty freakin amazing. its in amazing shape actually. i got the bike for 1300, with deemax that i replaced 1 spoke. all the x0 was perfectly tuned, elixir crs were just a bit scratched. fork and rear shock felt just stunning. they were probably serviced by black box lately. the crank brothers pedals i think are protos and crazy nice. I'm usually really anal about my bikes working perfectly, and it came already great. plus he sent 2 new TLD jerseys, a pair of shorts, and new grips. zink is such a nice dude...he just hooked it up

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.