Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Built my Knolly Delirium, came out heavy

7K views 56 replies 35 participants last post by  11053 
#1 ·
Came out at 41 lbs, while others have built it to 33lbs, Granted I could loose some weight with a 180 Float but not that much. A Ti spring is an option as well but with those two mods I'm still a ways a way.

It's an XL frame
Fork: Fox 40 RC2
Crank: XT
Chainguide: Blackspire stinger e-type
Brakes: Juicy 7s 8"front 6"rear
Wheels: Azonic outlaws
Tires: Maxxis DHF kevlar 2.5" 3C
Seatpost: Reverb
Saddle: WTB Rocket V
Pedals: Wellgo MG1 Ti
Stem: Staightline direct mount (short! 22mm I think)
Handlebar: Race Face Atlas FR
Cassette: ? probably LX level
Read Deraileur: XTR
Grips: ODI lockons
Bashguard: RingGod Lite
Front Deraileur: SLX E-type (mounted to Stinger)
Shock: Rockshox Vivid 5.1 with 450lb steel spring
Headset: Cane Creek Flushmount XX

See less See more
#12 ·
Mine was 33 when I first built it with the following differences:

medium frame, raw finish
Lyric 170Dh solo air
XTR cranks
Xt clipless pedals
Crossmax SX
990 cassette
X0 components
Regular thompson post
dhx air
maxxis 2.4 advantages

It's now 35.5 with:
Minion 2.5 exo's
elka stage 5
stinger e-type
KS i-950

If you're that concerned about weight ditch the 40...it's overkill on the delirium anyway. My lyric is a full 2 lbs lighter and matches the delirium perfectly unless you're doing nothing but lift/shuttle dh.

#15 ·
Awesome build, pumped to hear how it rides as those Knolly's hold a special place in my heart.

As far as weight goes... If you want lighter weight.
-Those Tires are heavy, you CAN go with a lighter single ply from Maxxis ( I think they're called the FR casing?). You can also do a 2.3 in the rear and not sacrifice any performance. And if you're going out for a trailride and not full on dh, then you can go with full 2.3's that aren't pigs.
-Those outlaws are durable, inexpensive, and easily replaceable. With that said, as awesome as they are for the three reasons mentioned you CAN go lighter. It will cost you a lot of coin however.
- ODI lock on's are great. They really are and I love them. But they're heavier than other options. As much as I shy away from other bike brands on your bike, the Specialized Rocca grip is comfy and weighs less.
- LX cassette can be swapped to XTR but that's just splitting hairs.
Get yourself a Thomson post. They weight nothing, are some of the strongest out there, and look awesome.
- If you really want to nerd out, the saddle could be a lighter model too.
- And there's the 40, you could go with the 180mm 36. But I'd keep that 40, it'll be a rad fork.

All in all man, if you want to drop weight go for rotational weight as in wheels and tires. It'll have the most effectiveness when you pedal. Maybe do a light set for more "trailride" applications and the set you have for dh? But I'd personally just rock out and enjoy the rad bike you have. When parts break then upgrade to lighter stuff. But don't sweat it, enjoy the ride!

#17 ·
You know, I wouldn't feel the need to change anything. If you went Fox 40, then you are thinking about doing some DH. If that is the case, you are going to bend and break parts, and the last thing you need is some high-zoot bling bling part that costs a fortune to replace. Keep it like it is, looks great.

If you do want to change there are options (weights are rough approximations):
Fork: 180 Float (I have one on my Knolly DT and its awesome) = 500g
Seatpost: Thomson masterpiece = 300g
Tires: several in the 800-1000g range= 600g
Grips: 50g
Pedals: Twenty6ti 50g
Cranks: SIXC/XTR 100g
Handlebar: Easton/SIXC DH carbon 75g
Shock: Vivid Air/Ti coil 3-400g
Drivetrain: 1x10, or XTR 2x9 50-100g

That's 2175g, or roughly 4.75 pounds...so you see how it adds up. You can easily drop another pound with CK/DT hubs, sapim spokes laced to some sweet rims.

But why? If you LIKE the component then keep it. If you break something, replace it with something lighter and better (and more expensive!!). But as it sits now that thing is sweet. In fact, I would say you should throw some Saint cranks (heavier) on there and an 8" rotor (heavier) in the back (rotors should always be the same size, this isnt a car) and it becomes a pure FR/DH machine, and work on another bike for trail/All mountain duties. It will be cheaper and better in the long run.

#20 ·
Good deal, thanks for the feedback. I want the bike to take some DH abuse but be able to ride it XC when needed (hence the post and seat choice)

A few items that were mentioned, tires - as noted those are the kevlar/single ply. They weigh in at 850g or so.
Azonic wheelset - not that heavy as far as I see, maybe 100-200g to save there with a lot of cash.
I like the 40, I'll ride it for the season and if I really notice the weight, maybe I'll try a float 180 or similar.

Azonic Outlaws
Front: 1118 Grams
Rear: 1328 Grams

Mavic DEEMAX
Front: 1120 Grams
Rear: 1330 Grams

DT Swiss FR 2350
Front: 1070 Grams
Rear: 1180 Grams

Sun/Ringle Single Track
Front: 1100 Grams
Rear: 1220 Grams

#23 ·
Those are all DH wheels - you'd need to go to something like EX1750's or Flow rims to save significant weight. You could save 1.5lbs easy and still have pretty durable wheels - my DT440/ZTR Flows have held up to a ton of bike park/slopestyle riding.

As others have said - your wheels, saddle, cassette, front deraileur/shifter (could go 1x9), grips, bars, fork, etc are weighing it down. I assume you're running tubes too? Tubeless can save you weight and flats. The reverb should stay if you're gonna ride trail on it - it's worth the weight penalty.

#26 ·
Mine here weighed 35.1 lbs but i put a ti coil on it which dropped it down to 34.4 lbs and should be closer to high 33's when i switch the brakes to formula "the ones" and put the 2.4 fat albert back on the front. Now ill agree that this wheelset is fairly light and i wouldn't use it for strict DH (i have 823's for that) but i have ridden it on plenty of freeride style trails and quite a few DH runs as well with no worries. I weigh 190lbs too.

This is the AM/FR build, when I go to do DH i'll put the hope/mavic 823 wheelset on that has DH tires on it. Probably bump it back up to the 36-37 lb range.

And as for the fork, mine is the talas 180. It is an awesome fork. really enjoy the travel adjust for the long fireroad climbs around here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.