Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Bullit vs Bullit vs Quake

679 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  William42 
#1 ·
I'm looking to build up an inexpensive park bike over the winter, and I'm looking mainly at used frames. What are the major differences between say, a 2004 Bullit and a 2008 Bullit frame, and for mainly downhill/freeride stuff (think Winter Park/Keystone), what would the recommendations/tradeoffs be between either Bullit and a 2007ish Marin Quake? Fork will be a 2010 Totem coil, and I'll be running a coil rear shock.

#3 ·
On the 08 Bullits and Quakes you'll be looking at 1.5" head tubes.

I think you'll still find 1 and 1/8th headtubes on the 04 Bullit-don't rember when the changeover to 1.5 was made.

Not sure what model Quake you are looking at, but a 180 totem should slacken it out a bit. I think the those quakes were spec'd around a 160mm front end.

The Quake with the quad link will pedal better than the Bullit for techy/chunky uphill.

However, you can learn to pedal a Bullit anywhere with a 180 fork on the front.

I love the way Bullits feel in the bike park. Nimble,poppy, fun.

Bullit head angles are old skool "steep" compared to what you see on new bikes, but they are fine for the park and for a lot of DH.

I love the way Bullits ride with coils front and rear.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.