Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

best tire for snow-downhill?

6K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  bxxer rider 
#1 ·
Hey everybody

just booked my first snow downwill since almost 10yrs...
I remember doing most of the recent snow rides with the Panaracer Spike or the IRC Missile...

What tire would you recommend for snow these days?

cheers andi

#6 ·
All you need is a deep tread, with enough room to get rid of the snow and a soft compound. I have used 2.5 Nevs, 2.5 Wetscreams and 2.7 minions. The wetscreams were the best for the stuff bullcrew had in his picture. The only time the wetscreams suck is when you hit area's with either ice or hard frozen ground with no or little snow.

I find when the ground is frozen and you are hitting patches of snow the Nev work well.

The minions are great if it is all frozen but otherwise they pack with snow for the most part.

#9 ·
How are the wetscreams if you have to do some pedaling? (i.e. drive traction). I ran 2.5 Nevegals last year and they were ok, but they're so large they rub a touch in the rear of my bike. If they wetscreams are comparable and sized small like some other Maxxis stuff they might be a better choice for this year.

#12 ·
I'm still not sure if I go for the wetscream (Maxxis) or the dirty dan (Schwalbe)
the wetscream is 2.4 wide and seems to have great fanbase
the dirty dan is just 2.0 wide but provides some profile on the side, that could make cornering easier on snow...

edit: looks like there are 2.4's of the dirty dan, but not where I would buy them...

#14 ·
Just remember that the Maxxis Supertacky compound gets really really hard in freezing temperatures. I have heard that the Schwalbe's Gooey Gluey compound does the same.
The harder compounds, Maxxis' 60a for example, are actually softer when it is cold (below zero Celsius).

#15 ·
wetscream it is...
just found another thread where Maxxis pointed out, they reccomend 60a for temperatures below 0 degress (celsius).
Maybe I have to cut the upper spikes, since it's a high speed snow downhill (100km/h and more...).
but I'm actually more in safety then in winning...

#19 ·
Verskis said:
Just remember that the Maxxis Supertacky compound gets really really hard in freezing temperatures. I have heard that the Schwalbe's Gooey Gluey compound does the same.
The harder compounds, Maxxis' 60a for example, are actually softer when it is cold (below zero Celsius).
Now I can confirm this! Yesterday I rode with a friend in -8'C temperature... he's got Wetscream in 60a, I got 42's... mine were rock solid, while his 60a were much softer!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.