Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

First DH/FR Bike

1K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  b-kul 
#1 ·
Hello,

I'v decided to switch from cross-country mountain biking to downhill for the next season. My cross-country bike is getting pretty beat up and it's been a very long time since I'v gone bike shopping. Anyways, I'm pretty much a beginner when it comes to DH and FR so I would appreciate your advice in choosing a bike. I intend to ride fairly aggressively and so far this seems to be the best bang for the buck that I have found. My budget is around $1500.

This is one bike I found online, if I got with it, what size frame should I go with considering I measure 5"11 and weigh in at 190 lbs?
http://www.canadabicycleparts.com/20...ii-p-1810.html

Thanks for your help!

#2 ·
Im in a similar boat. I am of similar height and like the large because i feel more comfortable on that size. I have no experience aside from researching bikes for the last 2 months so here are a few ideas in the NEW side of things. It is tough to find a new bike in the $1500 but there are some options that i have found. You could always go used.

Scott Voltage Freeride $1800 msrp (have gotten pretty good reviews from what i gather)
http://www.scott-sports.com/us_en/product/10034/55666/217971

Marin Quake (an older one may get you close to your budget)

The big hit is a good choice (2011 big hit I is $2000 but may be able to get it a bit cheaper)

Airborne Taka ($1500 with coupon til the end of the month)
http://www.giantnerd.com/airborne-taka-mountain-bike-freeride-downhill.html

Hope that helps. Good luck on finding a bike and hopefully i can too lol.

#4 ·
It said the code was BF but it isnt working for me, wait it did work for me and it came to $1500 and change. Normally that bike is $1499.99, they must have raised all the prices so that they could discount them. They have a couple other bikes on there in your range and all of their bikes are 15% off. I have never ordered from them so i dont know their service, but i think it would be best to buy from a local bike shop simply for the support they could offer. Also check out Jensonusa.com, they have a Jamis and Mongoose dh/fr bikes in your budget but i have not researched those brands. Through all my research i have narrowed it down (again) to the Scott Voltage FR and the Sx trail.

#6 ·
Your size is probably a medium to large depending on brand but just ask whoever you are buying from and they will help you out. I am 165 and 5'6" and ride a small's.

Good bikes on the cheap side that are good, depending on who you ask of course, is the Kona stinky line.

An option is if you want to go used is check out the classifieds on forums like here or Pinkbike. Also Craigs list in your local area. My friend just got a nice Kona stinky with tripple crown for $400 local from craigslist.

Another option if you want to go used is rental or demo bikes from bike parks. My cousin is picking up a stinky from trestles for cheap and it looks to be in good shape.

There are also 2010 Rocky mountain flatlines from whistler that are only one season used (5 or so months old) for $1299 right now.

Just some options.

#8 ·
HELP for a Big Hit Rear wheel

I use a 2009 Big Hit FSR III for freeride and some light DH.

I have a problem with my rear wheel.

RIMS Custom DT Swiss F550, 30mm, 32h
REAR HUB Specialized disc, 135mm, machined flange, sealed cartridge bearing, bolt on, 32h

The hub is broken.

The bolt that links the hub to the freehub, snapped. It is a hollow bolt inside which the axel works.
Before this happened I had complained of some bouncing of the cassette and the Specialized dealer repaired it.
Two weeks later, the same. Only this time I was informed of the cause.
It's been 3 weeks now and I still don't have a rear wheel.
Neither the dealer or Specialized Portugal know what kind of bolt it is. They already tried several and none is the correct one.
Does anyone know where I can get one?
Anyone had the same problem?
Here in Portugal the Specialized dealer where I bought the bike and SPECIALIZED PORTUGAL seem unable to provide a replacement.

CS

#9 ·
I got an Intense M1 frame medium size; perfect for an entry level DH. You won't spend too much and you get a BOMB frame that's been proven for more than a decade now. If you want a fully built bike I can help you too. I am 6' 190lbs. too and medium was fine.

I am on the reverse of you, whereas I am going XC and have no use for my DH bikes anymore...

I am building a 29er right now and racing Cyclocross so no need for DH.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.