Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Single crown forks over 180mm?

10K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  jcook1989 
#1 ·
I haven't seen any... Do they exist? Or do the existing 180 single-crowns already have flex problems that would just get worse at 200?

Thanks!

#3 ·
Manitou did a Travis 203, flex isn't really a problem.

The problem is axle-crown height, 180single crowns are already as tall as 200mm dual crowns (a Totem is .5cm shorter than a fox 40). Manitou forks are tall for the travel and the Travis 203 was a little bit ridiculous.

There's no advantage to them over a 180mm single or 200mm double, unless you like your bars really really high.

#4 ·
l base much of my thinking around what the motorcycle industry does.... that's what the DH/FR industry pretty much is: smaller versions of motorcycles with no engines.

ergo -- l would never want one.

#7 ·
Thanks for the input, guys. I'm looking at a frame with a little over 200mm, but I'd rather stay with a single crown fork. I'm leaning toward a 180mm fork, and just try to make the rear stiff enough (or preferably, just progressive enough) so that the rear doesn't go past 180 unless the fork bottoms out.

#8 ·
NWS said:
Thanks for the input, guys. I'm looking at a frame with a little over 200mm, but I'd rather stay with a single crown fork. I'm leaning toward a 180mm fork, and just try to make the rear stiff enough (or preferably, just progressive enough) so that the rear doesn't go past 180 unless the fork bottoms out.
Yeah a frame in the 203mm. And a single 180 is pretty spot on. As far as the progressiveness id work on the geo more than the last inch... its not going to matter a whole lot the rear takes the major weight the front takes the hits...
I have rode both and there's differences in both but the geo and what your riding is the main thing.

#10 ·
k1lluaA said:
Whats triple clamp mean? i cannot figure this out, and i dont ride dh yet...just am.. i mean i type it into google, and see the pics but fail to see the specialness of it..

learn me please...
Well if your not joking then heres the difference a triple or dual has upper and lower crowns that pinch the headtube and the stanchions go through both making it really stout and solid on the front end... A single is just a steer tube that goes through the Head tube and then a typical stem clamps to it...

Boxxer and a totem see the difference

Triple clamp boxxer

Single crown totem

#11 ·
k1lluaA said:
Whats triple clamp mean? i cannot figure this out, and i dont ride dh yet...just am.. i mean i type it into google, and see the pics but fail to see the specialness of it..

learn me please...
Triple clamps refer to a motorcycle term. The 'triple' comes form 1) the clamp on the steer tube, 2) the clamp on the left fork tube, and 3) the clamp on the right fork tube. Looks like a triangle of sorts from the top, so they called it a triple clamp fork. Bikes were more into the crown term, so they count it as either single or dual crown.

#12 ·
NWS said:
In that case it would probably be preferable to run a bit MORE sag, so that you are actually consistently using the LAST 180mm of travel, not the first, if you understand what I mean? I.e. spring rate to get it to sit well into it's travel already (especially if you have even more than 200mm in the rear), then adjust bottom out resistance and hi speed compression (if you can) to deal with the big hits. If you run the rear too stiff, it will sit too high in the travel, and you end up witha tall feeling bike with less desirable geo (higher BB and steeper HA)...

#16 ·
CaveGiant said:
Why are you against a triple crown fork, they are complete win win to me!
Slam your need into one while pedaling, that'll fix you real quick.

#18 ·
bullcrew said:
I slam the bars with the knee more with broken chains than anything else.... Single or dual it hurts like hell either way... :thumbsup:
When it's single it's usually been the handlebar. Still, i'd rather have a Totem over my 888.

#19 ·
Iceman2058 said:
In that case it would probably be preferable to run a bit MORE sag, so that you are actually consistently using the LAST 180mm of travel, not the first, if you understand what I mean? I.e. spring rate to get it to sit well into it's travel already (especially if you have even more than 200mm in the rear), then adjust bottom out resistance and hi speed compression (if you can) to deal with the big hits. If you run the rear too stiff, it will sit too high in the travel, and you end up witha tall feeling bike with less desirable geo (higher BB and steeper HA)...
Yes, I see what you mean. Those are all good points, thanks!

#20 ·
Pedal Shop said:
l base much of my thinking around what the motorcycle industry does.... that's what the DH/FR industry pretty much is: smaller versions of motorcycles with no engines.

ergo -- l would never want one.
We should try to emulate something that weighs 5 times more then a typical DH bike and has a engine? That makes soooo much sense.

Dammit. I knew I should have threw a wing and huge rear slicks on my soap box car. It's like a top fuel but smaller and without an engine. :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.