Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

another bike pressure thread :D

696 views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  Uncle Six Pack 
#1 ·
:D

well hello again and sorry for asking alot of questions, but im new into dh and freeride.

well ive used my new bike for 2 weekends and its been very good, i just have changed the spring and its now working very good.

so today im asking my last question i hope

what pressure should i use on my bike tires?

im 125 lbs with armour and stuff and im 13 years old

the trails i will be riding dont got rock gardens, just some rocks but not alot of them, they are very steep and dry.

iv'e been using 40lbs on both tires, but ive done a little researching because tomorrow im going to the local trails and i wanted know if my pressure is correct, what ive found is that there is a range from 20-40 which is alot of difference of what people use.

if you can please help me :D

thanks alot and sorry for asking alot of questions and well doing another tire pressure thread but i didin't found my answer on other threads i saw

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
I have 26 in the front and 28 in the rear (for the trail i've been riding). But it all depends on the type of trail and trail conditions. Really the best you can do is bring a pump out to the trail with you and start trying different pressures. Sooner or later you'll find what works best for you, and the trail your on. Just write down what you find as the best, just like you do for your suspension.

#3 ·
all depends on what terrain you are riding

if the trail is more pedally...then keep your pressure at 36 to 40...the higher the pressure the easier to pedal..BUT studies have shown for riding over rocks and stuff don't go higher in pressure because it actually slows you down....tires need a little give

now steep and dry trails you want more traction with you being very lite you can get away with running really low air pressures without pinch flating. One key thing though it is not cool to be turning hard and have your tire bend because there isn't enough air to hold tire..

.try running around 28 in front and 32 in the back (back tire usually a little more then front...more percentiged of your weight is on that back wheel)....that works for a lot of people...if you want more traction take a little out...if you pinch flat add more air....brings some tools, patches, pump if you get below those air pressures I listed in the beginning of this paragraph.

Good Luck

#4 ·
SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
.try running around 28 in front and 32 in the back (back tire usually a little more then front...more percentiged of your weight is on that back wheel)....that works for a lot of people...if you want more traction take a little out...if you pinch flat add more air....brings some tools, patches, pump if you get below those air pressures I listed in the beginning of this paragraph.

Good Luck
Around 28 in the front & 32 in the back is my typical all around air pressure for DH & XC. If I'm on a trail with a lot of sharp rocks I will usually up the air pressure about 4 psi in each tire depending on how smooth my riding is that day. Like people have said experiment and make sure you have some tools to fix a flat. Eventually you'll find a sweet spot.

#5 ·
SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
all depends on what terrain you are riding

if the trail is more pedally...then keep your pressure at 36 to 40...the higher the pressure the easier to pedal..BUT studies have shown for riding over rocks and stuff don't go higher in pressure because it actually slows you down....tires need a little give

now steep and dry trails you want more traction with you being very lite you can get away with running really low air pressures without pinch flating. One key thing though it is not cool to be turning hard and have your tire bend because there isn't enough air to hold tire..

Good Luck
this is excellent advice. the pressures smt quoted are probably going to be really close for you. personally, i only vary my pressures by about 2 psi for different terrain. rocks i do 27/35 in a 2.5 2-ply tire, in the soft forest i do 26/34 for the same tires. when i'm on 2.35 tires, rocks get 28/36, the forest gets 26/34 again. when you find the pressures you like, you only vary it enough to prevent flats. like smt said though, on ultra-hardpack and pavement (or slickrock!) you can benefit from much higher pressures - it's faster and holds the tire on the rim for super hard cornering on fast berms.

#9 ·
SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:

Good Luck
Dude @ 125 LBS the guy could easily run 26-28 @ the back and 24-26 up front...Im 150 and 30 PSI is my absolute MAX I 'd go

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.