Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

New 42.2 mm Wide Freeride and Trials rim (24" & 19")

2K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  sortafast 
#1 ·
Some of you guys might be fimilar with Kris Holm, Norco factory rider in a few big videos... NWD series exe... you know the guy who rides a unicycle on the North Shore trails.

He has introduced his own line of Unicycles with some kickass rims to boot. The rims should be avalible on their own if anyone is interested they are wide as hell and designed for 3" tyres.

Check out the profile of the rim...

I dont know when they are comming to market on their own but it should be in the next few months.

Chex

See less See more
#5 · (Edited)
The real bigguns:

https://alexrims.com/rims/mc_mt43.htm

Just to give you an idea of how bad-a$$ these rims are, according to the description on the site, these rims "cradle the nipple and improve the overall tightness."

.WestCoastHucker. said:
i've been running similar rims for years.....

Alex DX32's, they might be only 39mm's, but they are ridiculously stout............

<----- there they are in action

tuffest rims i've ever used......

#7 ·
The bigger Bigguns....

.WestCoastHucker. said:
yeah, but the DX32's don't only come in a 26", thay also have a 24", 20" and a 19"....
The surly large marget clocks in at 65mm wide......(below sourced from surly website)

Our friends, Pat Irwin ( Surly-sponsored rider and owner of Pat's Bikes, in Anchorage) and John Evingson (Hydracare rep and custom framebuilder), turned us on to the eclectic world of adventure riding.

It seems there's a need for a super-wide rim for snow bikers, sand bikers, rock crawlers and downhillers who want to run some really big rubber. We decided to make some rims for the same selfish reason we have for making other Surly parts...we want some to use on our own bikes.

We introduce to you...Large Marge. Our double-walled 26" hoop is 65mm wide. It's eyeleted, because a lot of 'em will be lace to disc hubs, and hub brake systems put more stress on spoke holes. Of course, Large Marge is rim brake compatible, if you don't want use hub brakes. The cross-section profile lends itself to shedding snow and sand, to keep the rotating mass as low as possible. The black ano finish should help to melt off snow that might cling to the rim, and we think it looks cool.

We offer Large Marge in a few configurations: 32-hole and 36-hole downhill version, and 32-hole cruiser/cross-country version...all are drilled for a presta valve. What's the difference? The cross-country version is drilled out to shave some grams; the downhill version is not. What's the weight? The DH rim weighs 1150 grams. The XC rim weighs 1050 grams.

Attachments

#12 ·
Skygrounder said:
The real bigguns:

http://alexrims.com/rims/mc_mt43.htm

Just to give you an idea of how bad-a$$ these rims are, according to the description on the site, these rims "cradle the nipple and improve the overall tightness."
Dude you opened a door with this one that I shall choose not to walk through. But...Can't......Nip....no I...must....won't.........D@MMM YOU ALEX RIMS AND YOU NIPPLE CRADDLING TIGHTNESS!!! D@MMM YOOUUUUU!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.