Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Banshee Wildcard as do it all?

3K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  Iggz 
#1 ·
Looked at specs on a bunch of bikes trying to decide how to go for a bike that can do dual/triple duty as an "all mountain" some days, and freeride/light DH others. I currently ride a HT SS and am feeling its limitations on some of the trails I ride here in tahoe. (corral, chinese, toads, backcountry FR)

I used to own one of the original intense tracers. I loved the geo on that bike, although slacker HA would be better. Well, the Wildcard has almost the same BB height, chainstay length and a little bit slacker HA.

So I was thinking in a 1x9 with 2.35s, full seatpost and coils F/R it would be well under 40 lbs, pedallable uphill and would be fun as hell on an aggro XC ride. Launch it off anything under 5' you see.

N* a few times a year and I'd think it would be fine with the 6.5" settings, I'm not fast and don't go big anyway.

Am I thinking correctly here? Sounds like it'd be a super fun winter project to build up.

#2 ·
With something like a Lyrik Solo Air up front, that would be a very fun bike. Depending on your height, it could be a bit small for all day XC rides though. Whenever I hear of someone looking for a "do it all" bike, I go to two options right away - Giant Reign X and Specialized SXT. For where I ride (PNW/BC) they are ideal all rounders.

#5 ·
I've tried the reign x on culvert in Auburn CA, and thats a perfect example of the type of trail I'm talking about. Didn't like it at all, although it could have been the rear air shock. Chattery rear end and not too much confidence, even with the adjustable seatpost slammed. Climbed ok, but didn't really feel much different than an XC bike downhill.

SXT is on the list as well, I tried to rent one for downieville but they were out. Ended up riding another do it all, the enduro. Very much like the reign x, it climbed ok and maybe was better on the DH (slacker front I think?) but didn't blow me away. Didn't feel like it was made to pop off jumps or move around super easy.

My experiences with the reign x and enduro are why I'm thinking in another direction than a classic "all mountain". I don't go on many epic all day rides anyway. 4 hours and under.

#6 ·
Was going to post a question about this frame also lol

So I thought I'd throw it in here, kinda on the same topic.

I'm looking at getting a new frame for my wife who is diggin riding more. She was on an OLD kona stinky (think the coiler, ie 5" version).

I'd like to get something that is a little more suited for DH riding but can still be used for pedaling.

Hows teh suspension on the WC? good for some light dh? hows the small bump (I know a lot is shock dependant, lets say DHX5 coil).

I know she is keen to jump, so the slope style type frames would be ideal, great geo, low stand over and 6-7" travel, as long as it can hold its own in some rougher stuff (not like WC rough lol).

If its to OT from teh OP, let me know and I'll start a new thread!

#7 ·
i can only say as a non sponsored non aligned with a shop kinda guy that shops around, and goes for what i find is best, im now riding a legend mk2.

If i had to pick a do it all frame, i would go for the wildcard, and invest in a CCDB for the rear, then work on finding the diff settings working for XC and mild DH respectively.

only other choices for me in this category would the the scott voltage FR or the spesh SX

#8 ·
Just a word on the Reign X. I have one since 2008 and all I can say is that going from the stock DHX 3 shock to a custom tuned Elka radically changed the way it feels on the downhill. We're talking about night and day difference. With the Elka, the rear wheel simply stick to the ground and it makes the bike a LOT more stable in rough and at speed.

I guess my point is that no matter what bike you go with, look at getting a good quality shock. SX trail(up to 2010), Reign X, Rune, Wildcard, Helius, are all great do-it-all bikes. By the way, I remember reading that Banshee ahd good deal for Elka shock upgrade on their frame.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.