Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Bike Help

436 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  bug-rex 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

I am having problems with my chain coming off on drops and such.

I figure its time for a chain guide. I have no idea how I will fit it to my bike though with my current chainrings.

I have old ISCG mounts so I know how it mounts, but my crankset and chainrings are my problem.

Right now I am 3x9 and I want to go to 1x9. Race Face Prodigy DH cranks and a 44t big ring.

What should I do?

Any help or insight is much appreciated!

#2 ·
If you really want to go 1x9, dump the whole crankset and buy one the comes set up that way (the new Saint cranks are money, but there are others...). Based on reviews it sounds like those Prodigy's are a timebomb anyway (stripped pedal inserts seem way too common on that model).

If you do want to keep the cranks, the easiest is to go for 2x9 - remove the 44t and replace it with a bashguard (the standard RaceFace one works great - check the sizing on the middle ring to figure out what size bashguard to get), then get a BB mounted chainguide like the Blackspire Stinger, and you're good to go. With this set-up you end up keeping the FD and the granny ring.
I don't know if you can go 1x9 with a 3x9 crankset...not sure about the chainline on the 1x9 cranks, and if a single-ring chainguide can be made to fit the middle ring of the 3x9...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.