Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Best heavy protection knee - only pads?

2K views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  The Haunted 
#1 · (Edited)
I prefer keeping my knee and shin pads separate, and I love my Fox Launch Pro (kyle strait copies) but the last couple times Ive gone down my knee has gotten dinged through the pads, so Im looking for a more heavy duty knee-only pad for DH riding.

Have thought about dirt jump kneepads, but the side protection looks questionable. I often go down on the side of my knees so side protection is needed.
There are the Fox Shorty knees or motoX knees but they might go down too far and would interfere with my shin pads. I do need to find some of these to check for sure.

Anything Im missing? Did some searching but mostly talks about knee/shin combos.
Input? Suggestions?

#8 ·
This year I abandoned kyle straits after using them exclusively for almost 2 years. I got sick of my knees hurting every time i crashed on them. They really aren't that protective. Out of everything I have seen out there, the best knee/shin protection is the Fox Titan Pro Knee/Shin Pads. They are marketed as moto pads, but they are the most comfortable pad I have worn, you can wear them all day without issue, and they offer amazing protection and don't move around when you crash.

#9 ·
Gemini2k05 said:
Check out the new rockgardn NEO's. They're similar to the straits, but more coverage, more padding, and slightly more rigid. They stay in place a lot better too, and reasonably priced.
Definitely check these out. They can be had for about $50 I think. My friend recently got these and the 661 KS Evos, which are like $80 pads and I definitely prefer the rockgardens. The 661's feel very comfortable and have an excellent range of motion, but it feels like they do not offer nearly as much protection.

#11 ·
I've been rockin' the Rockgardn Neo's for 2 months. They are super comfortable and actually grip your knee's better when you sweat a little. The kevlar over the plastic shell is by far the most protection on the market and For $70 they are reasonably priced. Check em out!!!

#15 ·
Big time props to the RG Neo's. I'm stoked to see this, i've been riding them for months now, a friend of mine was asking me if the hard plastic was stronger than the KS, or FOX launch knees and i took my pad off and told her if she can flex the plastic cap inside id give her $20 bucks. I got to keep my money and just so happened to have my old fox launch knees on me which she could flex so much she laughed.. Hard plastic, and its got a kevlar outer layer.. Not to mention they look kinda cool too!

#16 ·
Well, I got some of the neos. Havent ridden with them yet because of the weather of course so I cant comment on how well they stay on the knees, but they are definitely built for better protection than my Launch Pros and Kyle Straits. Kudos to Rockgardn for not just making another KS copy and making something better built to take hits.
They are stiffer and less comfortable so far which is to be expected, but they should break in after some riding and soften up a bit. Either way the protection is worth it.

They do seem to run snug, so no need to size down like with the KS. hopefully they will loosen up a bit as they break in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.