Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Gwin goes to Trek.

5K views 94 replies 45 participants last post by  Uncle Cliffy 
#1 ·
#6 ·
bxxer rider said:
i knew that over a week ago.
Bravo for you! So, since we're talking about poorly kept secrets, maybe we should talk about where Stevie Smith is going as well? Hmmmmm,,,,,it's so hard to figure that one out! :idea: ;)

Good for Aaron. He's definitely on a great product with a solid team and management/support. Looking forward to him crushing it next year.

EB

#7 · (Edited)
He sold out no diff than Sam did with Speshy. One thing IS for certain - I'd rather give up the sport than be seen on a Trek or Speshy! Those two are destroying the sport if you ask me (or just ask any one of the many companies they've RUINED).

Have FUN!

G MAN

PS - TREK BLOWS!!! (watch I get banned for that!)

#8 ·
Gman086 said:
He sold out no diff than Sam did with Speshy. One thing IS for certain - I'd rather give up the sport than be seen on a Trek or Speshy! Those two are destroying the sport if you ask me (or just ask any one of the many companies they've RUINED). I hope he fails miserably.

Have FUN!

G MAN

I know!!! right!!!

God forbid that a professional rider helping raise the profile of the sport actually try and make a living out of it! Idiot.

#9 ·
Gman086 said:
He sold out no diff than Sam did with Speshy. One thing IS for certain - I'd rather give up the sport than be seen on a Trek or Speshy! Those two are destroying the sport if you ask me (or just ask any one of the other companies they've RUINED). I hope he fails miserably.

Have FUN!

G MAN

Gman, you must be retarded. Or you just choose to look at one side of a situation. You think that because Gwin is off Yeti he's not 'core' to the sport? You think that Yeti hasn't sold out? They are no better than Trek. Trek probably produces more bikes in the US due to their carbon stuff than Yeti does. Yeti farms out almost all of their bikes to overseas factories. 5.75? Overseas. ASR's? Overseas. 7's? Overseas. I think the 303 RDH might even be overseas, but I'm not sure. DJ? It is just painted overseas, seriously. It is cheaper to do that than have it done here. They do this while touting their Colorado roots as well. I'm not even trying to hate on either of them, those are just the facts. They do what they need to in order to survive as companies.

Bottom line is that Yeti supports DH a ton, and that's a good thing. Trek supports DH a ton, and that's a good thing. At this point in time with the sport it is a rad thing that Gwin is paid (probably still less than he's worth) to ride DH.

You also said he was a sellout... Lets see, I'm going to train my ass off, not go to college, quit the possibly more lucrative moto thing, and then just get paid pennies on the dollar for risking my neck DH'ing. That's dumb, and Gwin's not. He's doing what he needs to do to make a living, and he works for it. It is not like Yeti didn't have the chance to keep him. Think about that.

Oh, and your Sam Hill comment? I totally agree. He should still be riding for Iron Horse, he totally sold out. He should still be with them after they were a sinking ship of a company and declared bankruptcy. If he was core he would just train for tips. Hill has stayed with Troy Lee after lots of other offers came his way. On the bikes side, he's been with one suspension company ever since he was out of juniors. He's been on two different bike companies, since 02? Hardly a sellout and that shows some brand loyalty.

Don't be a *******.

#12 ·
Well Sam was in a bad situation but now he can switch to Turner or Pivot and start winning again, LOL! LOVE the comments so far... keep em coming fanboys!

Have FUN!

G MAN

#15 ·
Gman086 said:
Well Sam was in a bad situation but now he can switch to Turner or Pivot and start winning again, LOL! LOVE the comments so far... keep em coming fanboys!

Have FUN!

G MAN
start winning again? didn't he just win world champs?! doesn't anybody care about that? he came back after an almost season ending injury and won at worlds?! thats huge.

Selling out? because companies are bigger? I'm sick of this "only little companies are legit" attitude in mountain biking. Its stupid. There are absolutely b1tching bikes coming from every angle, and doing anything other then celebrating is dumb.

#16 ·
joelalamo45 said:
Fanboy? How about a former pro bmx vert rider who's been through the sponsor thing more than once... not your "flow" deal either. Salaried factory rider, dude. Riders have to think of themselves when it comes to getting paid, not brand loyalty. You break your neck, the company keeps going... you're just a number to a sponsor.
So if you are paid by a bike company to ride and perform for them and can't perform and they fire you how is this any different then how life in general works for any successful company out there??? Of course you are a number. They make a financial decision on you and if you don't live up to the money they output on you then they have to take the funds elsewhere as to make a better financial decision. This is how every successful business operates and succeeds. If they were to make a bad decision and not correct it appropriately they could face failure. Is that what you as a rider who has underperformed would want???

#17 ·
jeng said:
So if you are paid by a bike company to ride and perform for them and can't perform and they fire you how is this any different then how life in general works for any successful company out there??? Of course you are a number. They make a financial decision on you and if you don't live up to the money they output on you then they have to take the funds elsewhere as to make a better financial decision. This is how every successful business operates and succeeds. If they were to make a bad decision and not correct it appropriately they could face failure. Is that what you as a rider who has underperformed would want???
I think you guys agree?

#19 ·
Gman086 said:
He sold out no diff than Sam did with Speshy. One thing IS for certain - I'd rather give up the sport than be seen on a Trek or Speshy! Those two are destroying the sport if you ask me (or just ask any one of the many companies they've RUINED). I hope he fails miserably.

Have FUN!

G MAN

Well aren't you a real d-bag! Trek supports the bike more than any other company I've dealt with in my 15+ years in the bike industry. Sorry to break it to you but they are the bike advocates of the decade. I suggest you stop speaking about thing you have no idea what you are talking about, okay thanks.

#20 ·
jeng said:
Well aren't you a real d-bag! Trek supports the bike more than any other company I've dealt with in my 15+ years in the bike industry. Sorry to break it to you but they are the bike advocates of the decade. I suggest you stop speaking about thing you have no idea what you are talking about, okay thanks.
Hey, I'm just sayin what everyone else is THINKING and afraid to say! SO... go back to your garage full of Treks and Speshies you childish name calling FANBOY! ROFLMAO!

Have FUN!

G MAN

#21 ·
jeng said:
Yes. You just repeated what I said.

#22 ·
Gman086 said:
Hey, I'm just sayin what everyone else is THINKING and afraid to say! SO... go back to your garage full of Treks and Speshies you childish name calling FANBOY! ROFLMAO!

Have FUN!

G MAN
You think that because we applaud a young and upcoming rider for getting bumped up in pay grade and getting a ride on a team managed by someone the likes of Martin Whiteley that we own (or even like) Trek or Specialized bikes?

I wouldn't buy a Trek or Specialized but I am very happy that they are finally getting serious about the Downhill bike market and investing in top racers.

Heh - Idiot.

#25 ·
zzsean said:
You think that because we applaud a young and upcoming rider for getting bumped up in pay grade and getting a ride on a team managed by someone the likes of Martin Whiteley that we own (or even like) Trek or Specialized bikes?

I wouldn't buy a Trek or Specialized but I am very happy that they are finally getting serious about the Downhill bike market and investing in top racers.

Heh - Idiot.
LMAO! THAT IS MY WHOLE POINT!!! Trek BUYS their way into everything (and tend to mess up EVERYTHING they buy into)! Just ask Klein, Bontrager, or Fisher about that! LOL They're like the Ted Turner of the Bicycle world... sounds like most of you are too young to figure any of this out???

Have FUN!

G MAN

PS - If you can't beat them, BUY THEM Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight???

#26 ·
Gman086 said:
LMAO! THAT IS MY WHOLE POINT!!! Trek BUYS their way into everything (and tend to mess up EVERYTHING they buy into)! Just ask Klein, Bontrager, or Fisher about that! LOL They're like the Ted Turner of the Bicycle world... sounds like most of you are too young to figure any of this out???

Have FUN!

G MAN

PS - If you can't beat them, BUY THEM Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight???
You think that more money in DH racing is a bad thing?

Yeah, I give up... move along nothing to see here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.