Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Off Season

817 views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  delirian 
#1 ·
With winter on it's way, it's almost time for me to park the big bike. But I want to keep the legs going in the off season, so i've been thinking about exercise bikes. Do any of you use stationary bikes? If so, what's a decent brand?

Thanks.

#6 ·
not to sure where you live or how harsh your winters are but here goes ,:) ;) ......
first up as the other guy said i just throw mud tyres on mud guards winter cloths man up and get wet and muddy, (i ride a hardtail in winter though for ease of cleaning and maintainance.)
other options, as you said excercise bike, i guess you get what you pay for,
another option and one i use myself and has already been suggested is a turbo trainer, that way you can still use your own bike, so you still have the feel for it when the weather comes good again. (though i am not to sure weather a big park bike would fit on a turbo trainer.)

#11 ·
delirian said:
not to sure where you live or how harsh your winters are but here goes ,:) ;) ......
first up as the other guy said i just throw mud tyres on mud guards winter cloths man up and get wet and muddy, (i ride a hardtail in winter though for ease of cleaning and maintainance.)
other options, as you said excercise bike, i guess you get what you pay for,
another option and one i use myself and has already been suggested is a turbo trainer, that way you can still use your own bike, so you still have the feel for it when the weather comes good again. (though i am not to sure weather a big park bike would fit on a turbo trainer.)
make sure you change tires....surprisingly they wear out fast....use the cheapies

#12 ·
Where I live, I will be AT LEAST a$$hole deep in snow and slush. The DH trails will not be in reach. I'm just looking for something to put the miles on while the weather is really s**tty. We have had back to back storms with 40 to 60 mph winds and rain. I just want to "ride" inside to stay in shape. I thought I could get some info on this site, but I guess i'll just take a stab at it and hope for the best.

#13 ·
SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
make sure you change tires....surprisingly they wear out fast....use the cheapies
i use my old bike one the turbo trainer. it's and old school bike. 1992 diamondback accent still got all it's original parts including tyres, it's hardly been used. so i just use it as my training bike now.
you can get specific turbo trainer tyres, though i think they only come in 700c road bike size.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.