Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Can I get a DH bike with a 3k budget?

2K views 26 replies 22 participants last post by  sinatorj 
#1 ·
wondering if i could get a complete DH bike for 3k. im getting a new bike soon i know the budget is low, i may have to get somthing more "all mountain". all the bike on the websites (trek, specialized, giant) all list thier DH bikes as 5K+ bikes.

#10 ·
I built my Blindside with a used frame and used Boxxer for about $2800, so its doable. If I had bought one used but complete I would have spent even less, but then I would have just ended up replacing quite a few parts to make it what I wanted so I chose to build it myself. If you can find one with a parts spec you like and can live with the few things you don't then even less than $2000 is not uncommon. Check the classifieds on MTBR, Pinkbike, and Ridemonkey . . . lots of 1-2 year old DH bikes out there for sale.

:thumbsup:

#16 ·
Not sure about current models but when Mongoose came out with the Boot'r the base model retailed for $3k if I'm not mistaken.

There are also the Sette and Fezzari DH bikes which can be had for SUPER cheap new.

But in your position I would go used. 3k will get you something VERY nice, especially in the current used bike market.

#21 ·
I respectfully disagree.

The riders at that level are so much smoother than the typical racer that it isn't even funny. They pick better lines, they have better bike handling skills, they don't count on the bike to "suck it up" to correct rider error. Why do you think they can ride CF frames, seatposts, bars, lightweight wheelsets, and road bike saddles? They aren't riding the bikes like plow bikes. They are hitting very specific lines, that are fast, not sloppy.
(Plus, that specific bike was only raced in a few races here in the Northeast, not the WC circuit... the owner happens to be a former WC Champion from a ways back.)
Yes the OP can get a new bike for his $. I was just pointing this one out, as being an unusual find.

#23 ·
Giant Faith 2 (or whatever the cheaper one is) is about 3020 i think, or in there, and the colors are simply amazing too.

You can find plenty of good used bikes for $3000. Big Hits are there, but if you are thinking about going more "all mountan" the faith would be great because is still got lots of travel, but is less DH than lots of other options. Just something to look at

#26 ·
Haus Boss said:
Check PedalShop.com
He's got some sweeet deals on several different models of the Marin Quake.
Just got my 7.9 for well under 3gz, pimped out with Saint components!

thanks for the plug Ben...

ya'll can PM me.

just a smattering left on the uber close-out stuff. that one that Ben picked up, that was the last one but there's others to be had. --- for a little more, l can bling the Quakes with better forks (the 07's came with lame a$$ Zokes so upgrades are almost required).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.