Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

I suck at cornering

2K views 30 replies 22 participants last post by  Cable0guy 
#1 ·
First step is to admit you have a problem, right? I can corner d@mn well on pavement, when I hit the dirt I just get hesitant. I enjoy a good drift, as long as I come out right side up.
I tend to start a turn fine, then hesitate and gently drag the rear brake. It's not habit though, I just consciously hesitate.

Maybe this belongs in the beginner forums, though I am not a beginner. I've posted here respecting that here there are many riders a lot better than me. So be gentle! :rolleyes:

Any suggestions? I've been practicing on the same backyard "turn" to no avail.

I understand proper form/loading. Even when traction is phenomenal I puss out too often. :thumbsup:

#4 ·
Best single thing you can ever learn to do is look through your turns,head up.It dosent happen naturally for most people and takes persistence to do it without thinking.Once you do it ,your body tends to make minor corrections automatically.So much,so,that what you think are your problems really aren't ,cuz your not looking at the ground in front of you.

I takes time ,but I would work on this before anything else,personally.Also dragging a rear isn't automatically bad if you've come in too hot or it helps track the wheel better in certain situations.And work on different corners,both sides.Good Luck!

#5 ·
Consciously looking to the end of the turn helps indeed, I'll focus on that tomorrow.
Part of the problem is I try to focus on one thing I imagine may help, such as loading and then botch the rest. Or I think "arghh there are leaves!"
I think you may be right though, look in the right spot and the rest will follow. Thanks, good suggestion.

#6 ·
Look PAST the end of the turn if it's physically possible.Usually ,at least by the middle of the turn,or,if it's more banked or rutted, the entry of the turn, look past the end.On some tech turns or ones with rocks in them were you have to pick a line,glance up through the turn before you get there then back down to pick the line,then up again.
Once you are confident in it,you'll be looking sideways,while your bike is leaning sideways in the beginning of the corner.

#7 ·
Scary said:
Best single thing you can ever learn to do is look through your turns,head up.It dosent happen naturally for most people and takes persistence to do it without thinking.Once you do it ,your body tends to make minor corrections automatically.So much,so,that what you think are your problems really aren't ,cuz your not looking at the ground in front of you.

I takes time ,but I would work on this before anything else,personally.Also dragging a rear isn't automatically bad if you've come in too hot or it helps track the wheel better in certain situations.And work on different corners,both sides.Good Luck!
I have simmilar issues with cornering. On livewire i bomb the straits and most of the jumps, to the point where i can probably pass people, but as soon as i get into the turns i feel like im going fast, but when i pull out of the turn and look up the rider i was trying to pass is way ahead of me. I never realized it but i never look through the turn. I think i may have figured out what i'm doing wrong, so Thank You :thumbsup:

#8 ·
some turns are easier/harder than others, which are giving you problems
-banked
-berm
-off camber
-flat
-switch back
-combinations of the above
each one requires a slight different set up depending on your speed, trail width, soil, etc...

However the masses would agree that the basics are: brake before the turn (I am one for off the brakes while turning or slight front drag, rear will brake tire loose causing a skid), lean according to speed/camber of turn, outside pedal down or maintain pedals level, and yes look forward to where you want to go.

Some turns you may need to lean the bike and more than your body in to the turn, like on flat turns, off camber, slow rocky sections. Other turns is completely opposite, yet you may want to lean bike and body equally as it fast berms, pump it baby...

Experiment and have lots of fun.

Please don't skid on the trails.

#9 ·
Before you buy any fancy new parts for your bike, save the cash and hit up one of Gene's camps.

http://betterride.net/

Best investment you can ever make in your riding guaranteed! Gene breaks down and explains cornering like no one else. The dude could right a damn book on cornering! We spent pretty much an entire day on cornering and it helped immensely.

If you keep practicing what Gene teaches it will get committed to muscle memory. Once that happens you pretty much just look ahead (look where you want to go) and your body will take you there.

AGAIN: Sign up for a camp! Stop asking us amateurs over the internet:p

#10 ·
DRIDE said:
Before you buy any fancy new parts for your bike, save the cash and hit up one of Gene's camps.

http://betterride.net/

Best investment you can ever make in your riding guaranteed! Gene breaks down and explains cornering like no one else. The dude could right a damn book on cornering! We spent pretty much an entire day on cornering and it helped immensely.

If you keep practicing what Gene teaches it will get committed to muscle memory. Once that happens you pretty much just look ahead (look where you want to go) and your body will take you there.

AGAIN: Sign up for a camp! Stop asking us amateurs over the internet:p
Tried to at one point, the bay area camp was cancelled. He said he'd let me know if it would go on. Later it did go on but he'd forgotten to let me know. :D
I had housing arrangements set up and the money set aside., now I need to re-commit.

#12 ·
I once had a talk with this guy about cornering. he's from the BMX world. he took me to a dirt lot and we both messed around with a corner, taking it at higher and higher speed until I feel either tire or both tires start to slide. This is on flat dirt, on full suspension mtb.

I would say I got to around say 10-12 mph before i got timid. Then he told me I could take the turn faster, but of course i was timid. So he took the bike and pedal as fast as he could approaching the turn, and I witnessed both his front and rear tires break traction sideway. He was probably going 20-23 mph on that turn. I didn't know it was even possible! He told me to keep practicing at higher and higher speed and eventually I'll be like him too. Well lol I still can't take that turn at 20+ mph, but I got probably to 15 mph now, but more importantly, i can now do at 15 mph with confidence, where as before i was timid at 10-12 mph. that's improvement for me!

But to be honest, i wouldn't wanna do that sort of thing on the trail because that just leaves no room for errors! most of the trails around here, if you go off, you're tumbling down 30-50 feet easily. too much risk.

I'd the art of cornering is a lost art. Nowadays guys like to talk about big jump, big hit, big huck. I can't recall the last time i heard some one talk about "how do i corner faster"! I mean just look at all the banks being built into corners today! People can't corner so they put in banks!

#13 ·
Obi-Wan had it correct... Use the Force, Luke...Let go, Luke...

I was told that 16 years ago by Shaums and it still holds true.

Don't think, just do. There is no bike, for the ride is just
an extension of your existence at that particular moment.

It should almost feel like a dream, an out of body experience.

That is when you know you gave it everything. You don't
think about corners, jumps, rocks, etc. The ride just happened,
nothing else.

#14 ·
Katana said:
Obi-Wan had it correct... Use the Force, Luke...Let go, Luke...

I was told that 16 years ago by Shaums and it still holds true.

Don't think, just do. There is no bike, for the ride is just
an extension of your existence at that particular moment.

It should almost feel like a dream, an out of body experience.

That is when you know you gave it everything. You don't
think about corners, jumps, rocks, etc. The ride just happened,
nothing else.
Did Shaums give you a sample from his special jar as well?

hehe...

#16 ·
OP: Seems the lowest common denominator in your description is you're overthinking things. Just three simple things: outside foot down, look up, and bend your legs and arms. Start slow and build up speed. And don't forget it's supposed to be fun, the end.

#17 ·
ARider said:
Did Shaums give you a sample from his special jar as well?

hehe...
No, he didn't partake from the special jar back then....I did though :D

I don't know many 40ish riders who sample the jar these days, it's usually the
20 somethings.... And I can tell you, it is a better high in waking reality
to pin a run than the high from a fresh jar of herbs.... :eekster:

#19 ·
First off great replies. I rode today and had a great time, railing corners and didn't think about anything but looking to the end and pointing with my belly.
The belly thing really works, it automatically rotates and lowers your hips. Raising my eyes kept me from over thinking the ground, the leaves, the rock, and the speed.

Next plan is to master the counter-steer. Thanks a ton, I had been in a riding slump for a while now.

#20 ·
here's how you become MASTER OF TURNING:

1. Read everyone's suggestions on proper technique. Look at pictures of pros.

2. Go out and practice regularly. I never had luck with "drills". Riding trails is the best imo. Push it harder every time.

3. Do this for a few years.

4. You have become MASTER OF TURNING!

#21 ·
flat corner/parkinglot corner. when your taking a flat one you lean the bike into the corner and drop your inside hand to angle the tires ya? do you keep your outside leg attached/touching the bike frame/seat or do you let the bike wiggle round under ya?

make any sense? anything im missing?

#22 ·
Had a guy give me a tip that works great. Use your hips and keep them pointed where you want to go. Just like looking down the trail keep your hips pointed the same way. You have to think about it for the first few times but once you feel it work it feels great. On really tight stuff if you twist your hips while going around a corner you can feel the rear wheel whipping around to keep up

#24 ·
Well I, for one, have been happy to get advice over the years from all these "amateurs", LOL! My riding has definitely improved thanks to MTBR.

Scary gives excellent advice as do the others on following with your belly button (hips). One that I haven't seen is ride your bike thru the turn, not the other way around! What I mean by that is a LOT of riders simply lay back and hope for the best. They don't pressure the front tire enough to get good grip and wind up just hoping to hang on during fast corners! PLANT that front tire - unweight before the corner if you need to and then really weight the bike planting the bike's tires into the turn. You'll be amazed at how much your confidence level rises at high speeds just by weighting that front tire more (and look for even the slightest of berms to help when you're really railing - can make the diff between blowing a turn or not).

Have FUN!

G MAN

#26 ·
So here is what I've learned and what I can teach.

From Road Racing (knee Dragging style) I learned to look for the turn in point while you're approaching, then before you snap the bike in you glance by your apex point and straight to your exit and beyond. LOOK UP

I've found that I like to put around 90% of my weight on my feet. Of that I have 75% or more of my weight centered on my outside foot. Which should be down in a flat corner and level when there's enough of a berm. Keeping my weight centered over the bottom bracket is key. Then I've recently found that I like having that other 10% of my weight pushing into the front to balance the weight front and rear.

Turn with your feet like your skiing!

Braaap let that dust fly and feel your traction! Push it!

Oh and SUPER IMPORTANT! --- Get your braking done before you enter the corner and let your bike accelerate (with gravity) through the corner. DONT hit your front brake as it will stand the bike up and run you off course. Thats one of the harder habits to break. NO FRONT BRAKE in the corners

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.