Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

WTF did I do to my Fork???

1K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  dhpeteinsc 
#1 ·
A few minutes ago I was adjusting rebound on my Domain with a 2.5mm allan key in place of the knob that fell off. Then all of the sudden all the oil came out all over the ground? How did this happen?? did I just eff my fork up???

#5 ·
Iggz said:
Loosen the 5mm bolt holding the lowers on and let all of the oil flush out.

Then replace with 15ml or 15wt oil and your golden
That doesn't make any sense, 15ml or 15wt ? 15ml would be a volume of oil, 15wt would be a certain viscosity of oil.....

#9 ·
dhpeteinsc said:
How much oil? the lowers use a 15 ml bath and the stanchion holds 200ml which is a good bit. There are o-rings on the rebound needle inside the damper shaft. I've never had one leak although it is possible. Not sure you can service the damper.
well it was slowly dripping for over half an hour so I would guess all the 15ml of oil came out. I took it to the bike shop because I dont have the oil or know how (although I'm sure its not that hard) to do the job. The guy there said not to worry unless a whole cup or so came out. I tries to tell him that I was pretty sure its the upper tube that holds 200ml and that the lower on that side only needs 15ml but he said not to worry about it at all. Now when I ride the frok makes this loud knocking noise in the right leg (the side the oil came out) but not the left. Is the guy at the store wrong? i think I should take it to another bike shop.

#11 ·
nightofthefleming said:
I didn't answer any question, I asked one. I'm sure it was a typo and he meant to type 15ml of 15wt, but it's early, and I knit pick when it's early.
I'm only saying this because you made a big stink, but it's "nitpick" not "knit pick". Be a little more precise with your nitpicking next time.

mattyboi said:
i woudl take it to another shop if it really bothers u cuz i would prob take it to another shop cuz thats weird did he put any more oil in it
Yikes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.