Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

side by side 170mm 66rc and 170mm slider+

3K views 37 replies 22 participants last post by  tmoney 
#1 ·
both bikes are mediums and they are running the same headsets, fsa pig pro DH.

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
zedro said:
wow, the 66 makes the Slider look like a toothpick.
Yeah but a toothpick that you can press into turns at least.

Why does marzocchi think that everyone always wants to be 2 degrees from a manual at all times?

#7 ·
kidwoo said:
Yeah but a toothpick that you can press into turns at least.

Why does marzocchi think that everyone always wants to be 2 degrees from a manual at all times?
its part of Marzocchi Mission Statement: make the perfect fork, then add one major and obvious design flaw.

#10 ·
Ride Height question

I have a slider+ on my bullitt and I like the fork a lot. I went from a z1 that I also enjoyed. I liked the z1 for smoothness on stutters and other rough stuff. I didn't like the using all of my travel riding down steep stuff. My 69 deg ha suddenly became 72. I like the slider for big hits and no brake dive, however, it's not as smooth as zokies on rough stuff. Do you find that you use alot of the travel on 66 or a brake dive problem? I guess I feel that even though the Slider + isn't as tall as the 66 it's ride height is probably similar. Is this true? Thanks

#11 ·
How do you keep the ft end of that thing down on a climb??

66 weight looks to be in the crown & lowers. Lowers on the 66 look Gi-Hugic compared to the Slider +. I've been very seriuosly constapating a 66rc 1st of the yr. - TAXES = mommy & daddys Christmas.
The 66 looks to be about 2-3" taller than the Slider +. Yikes! Took me a lil' while to get used to the height of the Slider +. Is the 66rc a much better fork than the Slider + ? Is it worth the weight & height issues???

#12 ·
Alpenglow said:
I have a slider+ on my bullitt and I like the fork a lot. I went from a z1 that I also enjoyed. I liked the z1 for smoothness on stutters and other rough stuff. I didn't like the using all of my travel riding down steep stuff. My 69 deg ha suddenly became 72. I like the slider for big hits and no brake dive, however, it's not as smooth as zokies on rough stuff. Do you find that you use alot of the travel on 66 or a brake dive problem? I guess I feel that even though the Slider + isn't as tall as the 66 it's ride height is probably similar. Is this true? Thanks
you are right about how the 66 settles in it's travel more when you are riding it. the slider+ rides up higher in it's travel and doesn't like to use maybe 2.5" of travel on an average trail ride(no serious jumps just fast flowy ****). The 66 on the same ride uses about 4" of travel.

#13 ·
That's a good point. Untill SPV came along, manitou tried to make their forks "progressive" by putting elastomers in there so they'd ramp up at the very end of travel, but since the bottom-out wasn't controlled by damping, it made the low-speed ride compartively harsh because it wouldn't use as much travel on impacts, and it was sprung stiffer so it would ride higher.

Same thing with rockshox, although they haven't quite figured out how to make their coil forks progressive yet. They simply use stiffer springs to prevent bottom out, which is why they've never felt as "plush" as a marzocchi. So they ride a lot higher in their travel than marzocchis.

Due to the air-assist spring, the marzocchis can sag more and still not bottom out, it seems to be the normal operation that they sag more than other forks, and of course feel much better on a wide variety of impacts.

#14 · (Edited)
have you guys ridden anew pike from rock shocks? they have finally gotten it right. stiff as hel# and very plush. the best rock shox fork ive ever ridden. i think it's even stiffer than there boxxer. the boxxer felt kinda like a noodle to me but im a big guy too.it has 140mm and you use all of it and dont even notice the movement much and it never gets harsh at the end.if ya dont want a full 150mm but can adjust between 90mm-140mm and have a 1 minute wheel change or less. with a thru axel wheelset and no tools required get one of these forks they rock.

#16 ·
ctrailfreak said:
have you guys ridden anew pike from rock shocks? they have finally gotten it right. stiff as hel# and very plush. the best rock shox fork ive ever ridden. i think it's even stiffer than there boxxer. the boxxer felt kinda like a noodle to me but im a big guy too.it has 140mm and you use all of it and dont even notice the movement much and it never gets harsh at the end.if ya dont want a full 150mm but can adjust between 90mm-140mm and have a 1 minute wheel change or less. with a thru axel wheelset and no tools required get one of these forks they rock.
Well see how great they are after a good season..

Rockshox has produced too many "one season" forks in the past.

#17 ·
Devious Donte said:
What I want to know is how are you getting those bikes to stand up all by themselfs. I looked at the picture and don't see anything supporting them to keep them upright. Am I blind?
Dude, I was thinking the same thing.

Nice fork, but the 66 series just rubs me the wrong way. I think I would have to get some time on it before I pass judgment, but if I were to buy a SC fork, I believe it would have to be a Sherman, or Z1.

G
#19 ·
Devious Donte said:
What I want to know is how are you getting those bikes to stand up all by themselfs. I looked at the picture and don't see anything supporting them to keep them upright. Am I blind?
It looks like they are leaning against eachother by the brake lever/grip area.

#20 ·
Yeah I just backed each bike against the wall and then leaned them against each other. the uzzi-slx is resting on the index trigger shifter of the bullit. they fell over twice before I took the pics.

#25 ·
as of now im seriously considering a 66rc for my DH race/freeride bike. claimed weight is in the low 6lb range(doubtful that’s true) but it will be lighter than the 888 my ride is coming with. price is right. would set the head angle on my next bike right in the sweet spot.

after seeing Borden and Dyer pound on them in NWD 5 I think strength isn’t that big of an issue. don’t know if that's that good of an argument though, as they are pros...

For me though, it’ll be kind weird getting used to having a single crown on the front of my DH bike. Kyle, from what you’ve ridden do you feel confident in the fork? Is stiffness a problem, or is it as stiff as its claimed to be?

#26 ·
Thanks Kyle.

kyle said:
595mm according to the Marzocchi site.
Guess I jus' couldn't see the forest for th' trees while I wuz lookin' on th' Zokie site. Dang, don't know how I missed it though, Thanks again Kyle. Hey keep the feedback line open on the 66rc. We need to know "sumthangs" about this fork.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.