Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Vivid Air versus Fox Air

2K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  Dr.Zoidberg 
#1 ·
#4 ·
I emailed a few years back (2007 maybe?) about getting my DHX Air revalved to resolve midstoke wallow when I saw on your website that you did not work on the DHX Air. I was responded with a message telling me that you guys had done some preliminary experimenting with the shock and due to a lack of a "true shim stack" were unable to achieve the level of valving that was desired in order to make custom tuning of the DHX Air a viable and worthwhile service to your customers. Now, it obviously was not you who told me this as I'm sure you've opened the shock for yourself, and I wish I could produce the email to back myself up (lost in cyberspace long long ago), but I can assure you that this is the truth. That said, I think your services are some of the best upgrades available and have recommended you guys to many many customers. I have no reason to lie and no desire to make you guys look bad.

#7 ·
Has been removed, and certainly can understand your perspective in regards to maintaining brand integrity and reputation. The statement was about the the tunability of the DHX A and was without slanderous intention. Apologies if it read differently.

So why don't you tune the DHX Air?

#8 ·
Darren, not to get off topic in the lies & other fun stuff...

But why don't you guys work on the DHX-air? I've thought about going to one on my FR bike, but don't want to run a stocker. If I ask pretty please... won't you guys work on one for ME????? :D

ok, 3 of us asking... I'm pretty sure that's enough for a run right???

#11 ·
I have nothing but good things to say about the DHX-air with the lever propedal. I'm running it on both the Firebird and the Nomad and they work very well with it. I would love it if PUSH would tune the rebound on the DHX-A and not touch anything else. I get that it may not work well on other frames, but the NomadC and Firebird work very well with it.

#20 ·
The shock on that GT was a standard DHX Air, they put it on their because the bike was for a press release, and it would be easier to set up for different journalists, instead of swapping springs and whatnot for different sized riders.

#21 ·
#23 ·
SamL3227 said:
thanks.

so is the dhxair THAT hard to tune(reconstruct) that no one wants to fiddle with it, or is it just something that i should have never bothered with in the first place.?
That's the conundrum with the dhx-a. I don't have one but also considered getting one a while ago and it seems that it was made for fine tuning with 14 points of adjustement (older ones anyways) but many seem to find that those adjustments don't really do much to combat the mid-stroke (pardon?) 'wallow'. There are reports of the newer ones being simpler (less adjustment points) and better but I ended up concluding the same as the last part of your sentence.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.