Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Moving to FS from HT?

652 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  CReedy 
#1 ·
Hello everyone, so I bought an Ibex Apline 550 for my first mountain bike that I would ride on trails about a year ago and now I think it is time for me to move up to a full suspension/ just a better bike in general. I just got back from a trip to Moab and rode my uncle's bike on some of the trails which is a Jamis Dakar xc comp and it was amazing compared to my ibex. So what I am wondering is what are some xc full suspension bikes in the $900-$1000 price range that you would consider good?
Thanks, Curtis

#3 ·
A mediocre FS bike is not worth having since the rear shock will compress a little bit on each peddle stroke. Whenever that happens, it is your peddling effort that goes into that compression, meaning that you are peddling a lot harder than you need to because in addition to propelling you bike your legs also have to work to compress the rear shock. Unless you ride trails that require you to have an FS bike, don't get one. Get a decent HT instead.

#4 ·
jbgilm said:
A mediocre FS bike is not worth having since the rear shock will compress a little bit on each peddle stroke. Whenever that happens, it is your peddling effort that goes into that compression, meaning that you are peddling a lot harder than you need to because in addition to propelling you bike your legs also have to work to compress the rear shock. Unless you ride trails that require you to have an FS bike, don't get one. Get a decent HT instead.
Couldn't they just sat a mediocre FS bike and at a later point in time, upgrade the rear shock to something better that'll help with the compression w/ pedal strokes?

#5 ·
You can save money buy taking your old bike, stripping the parts from your Ibex and buy a FS frame and piece it together.

If you do this you can and probley will run into some snags, like the steerer bieng to short for the new frame which would result in having to buy a new fork.

Check out some of your local LBS and see if they have any used FS frames that they would be willing to sell. But it is also fun to have more than 1 bike.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.