Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Noob Bike...Not so Noob Rider....First ride observations.

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  rlouder 
#1 ·
My son and I just had our first serious MTB outing today. We did 10 miles riding the Zuma Canyon loop. About 1200 feet max elevation (thats what the guides say). Those climbs were brutal. We had to walk quite a bit as the grade was really steep. We were tired and some of the trails were bordered by sheer drops. Didnt want to call a helicopter to get my son back. When we develop our resistance, we will try to ride up all the way :)

We did the downhill portions with great care. Not fast at all, specially on the switchbacks. The trail was loose sandy dirt in some places. Didnt feel solid. We were nothing like the MTB vids. More like senior citizen speeds with constant braking :)

Our questions. 1) Our brakes (both Juicy 3s) developed squealing. Is this normal? Will this go away? Its annoying. Back home, its still there but not as much as when we were on the trail. 2) My rear brake started making a mild shuddering vibration under load. Is that normal? Over heating? Its gone, but I'm wondering what happened there. 3) The center shock felt plushier after a couple of hours. I checked the pressure and it was normal. Is this just breaking in?

Lastly, I read something on the forum that nobody uses granny gears for real. Is that true? Don't wanna teach my son to be lame :)

Thanks! Bing

See less See more
#2 ·
1. Squealing disc brakes is pretty normal... there's stuff you can put on to get rid of it, just not sure what.

And about granny gear... sometimes you have to, sometimes you dont. I've never used it, but then again, my climbs are different than yours. Nothing lame about using it if you had to though... less lame than having to walk it anyway imo :)

#3 ·
Cleaning your rotors with isopropyl alcohol may eliminate some of the squealing. You might try lightly sanding the pads or trying a different pad if the shuddering reappears.

If your shock is new, it should become more plush as it breaks in.

Nothing wrong with using granny gear. I've ridden some trails where I could barely push my bike up some sections. I was glad to get toward the top so I could ride in granny. I've followed more avid riders who made climbing look effortless. They stood up and used higher gears. I've tried that but wear down too quick.

Do what works for you. The same inclines look less steep every time you ride them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.