Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Maintenance - HT vs FS

888 views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Sparkle Bear 
#1 ·
Posted about a week ago for the first time with regard to getting back into riding and input on purchasing. One reply mentioned maintenance (not sure at the moment exactly what they said), which got me wondering about the difference (cost, time, etc.) between maintaining a HT vs FS bike. I tried a search but didn't see anything too specific to what I'm wondering. Last bike I owned was a rigid, so the whole shock, pivot, etc. thing is new to me. Haven't pulled the trigger yet, but am hoping to hit some shops this weekend for more input. Thanks.

#2 ·
It's not a huge deal, but you should factor it in.

Some bikes have bushings that need to be replaced from time to time, some have cartridge bearings that tend to last longer, but will eventually need to be replaced or re-greased if you can get into them.
Other cost would be replacing the seals in a rear shock. Something like a fox float (standard on many FS bikes) are pretty easy to do yourself & won't cost much (o-ring kit is $7). But if you don't want to DIY it'll cost a few bucks ($50 - 100) to have a shop do it.

#5 ·
There is about...

1/3 to almost double the maintenance required with an FS bike than with an HT on average. You have to maintain the shock, pivots, linkage, etc. And there is more to go wrong or wear out for sure. Routine maintenance on rear suspension components should be done on about the same schedule as you'd do your fork. In most cases bushing/bearing longevity is totaly dependant on a) the suspension design, b) bushing/bearing quality, c) how well you maintain them, and d) the quality of the bike overall. Shock maintenance that is doable by the user is usually fairly simple. But with most shocks you won't be able to change damper oil, etc., without very expensive and specific tools to depressurize the damper. Most are nitrogen charged at high pressure to prevent oil foaming. Then you have to have the equipment to repressurize the damper when done. It usually requires sending the shock in for maintnenace of this type now and then. There are some shocks out there that are completely user serviceable, but they are few.

Bottom line is you can count on a 30 to 75% increase in maintenance and maintenance costs, or time if you're a DIY type, to keep the bike performing at it's best. A 30% increase in maintenance and cost is about average for a well built well designed FS.

Is it worth it? IMHO yes. Ride quality and performance are much better on a good FS bike. But it's your call. To keep em performing at their best they do take more time and work.

Good Dirt

#6 ·
So this extra maintanance everyone talks about....what exactly is it? These are not complex machines by any stretch of the imagination. You check 8 places and make sure everything is tight and have to do a second check for air pressure on the second shock. I can do the required torque and air pressure checks in under 2 minutes.

As others have eluded to you will get lower quality components. Look at a $1500 FS bike vs a $1500 HT bike. One will have excellent shifters, brakes, fork and parts, the other will have mid grade ones.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.