Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

maybe a ht?

1K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  mr_alanhsiao 
#1 ·
i have been shopping around and a ht actually seems well suited to my needs. i want to urban dirtjump freeride, as well as race dh on occasion. hell, i might even try dual and mtn x. I have heard ht's make you smooth, so would it be good for my first season of dh? i was thinking maybe a imperial, p3, or maybe a morhpine any suggestion will be appreciated.

#2 ·
the mtn man said:
i have been shopping around and a ht actually seems well suited to my needs. i want to urban dirtjump freeride, as well as race dh on occasion. hell, i might even try dual and mtn x. I have heard ht's make you smooth, so would it be good for my first season of dh? i was thinking maybe a imperial, p3, or maybe a morhpine any suggestion will be appreciated.
Morphine- DH :)
Imperial & p3 -Dule and 4x/MTx :)

#4 ·
the mtn man said:
I would get a imperial super strong and one of the more beasty HT's around, they will take anything you throw at them and then some. Also have a look at .243 their HT's are simple and super strong a little lighter then the Imperial aswell I'm pretty sure.

laters Antoni

#5 ·
socialdisgrace said:
I would get a imperial super strong and one of the more beasty HT's around, they will take anything you throw at them and then some. Also have a look at .243 their HT's are simple and super strong a little lighter then the Imperial aswell I'm pretty sure.

laters Antoni
looked at the imperial. it weighs 6.1 pounds and the .243 weighs 8 (i think), but thats for the chromoly one. geometry on morphine and imperial are almost the same, morphine is maybe 1 degree slacker ( again, i think it is). i am probably looking at the imperial versus the morphine. the imperial loks more urban and jump oriented, while the morphine is more huck oriented. isnt this great, i can get one of the nicest ht's new for the price of the cheapest second hand dh!

#6 ·
the mtn man said:
looked at the imperial. it weighs 6.1 pounds and the .243 weighs 8 (i think), but thats for the chromoly one. geometry on morphine and imperial are almost the same, morphine is maybe 1 degree slacker ( again, i think it is). i am probably looking at the imperial versus the morphine. the imperial loks more urban and jump oriented, while the morphine is more huck oriented. isnt this great, i can get one of the nicest ht's new for the price of the cheapest second hand dh!
woot! HT powa repr'sent!!

#8 ·
MorphineFreak said:
Morphine all the way. I must say the Imp is sweet, but for DH and Hucking the morphine imo is really hard to beat.

I guessed what you would say, considering your morphine freak and your avatar is banshee...

i definetly like the morphine, i just dont know if i will be hucking it alot. how does it do for more urban kind of stuff like the imperial is designed for?

#9 ·
I got mine setup for dh/hucking dc and all the goodies. When I first got it I had a single crown on it and had it as my "do everything" bike, I was pretty impressed with how it handled urban. I think if you set it up as an urban bike it would be great. But I think the Imp would be a tad better for an all urban machine, while the morphine would be better as a dh/huck machine. Either way both evil and banshee are great companies and make awsome frames, you won't lose either way.
Heres a pic of it in Dh mode:

#11 · (Edited)
damn this is hard. o well. i like the imperial in stealth black. very sexy. but the morphine is their gun metal kind of a color is also very sexy. i geuss that i will put a dirt jumper on my bmx just for a day or two to see how it feels, then i can also see how a steel frame feels and i could then decide about the 243 better. what about the dropouts. the evil is 3 vertical dropouts, but the morphine is a horizontal that you slide, which one do you think is more strong?

#13 ·
I had a years worth of time in the saddle on the morphine. It was a very nice, burly, versitile frame. I had it set up with a sherman, boxxer, and a monster t, in each case it served its purpose very well.

Now i'm currently on a Sinister Ridge, which is very pimp. It has a 1.5 headtube so you have the option to run the bigger sherman SCs. Handwelded here in new england, i'm impressed with the bike so far. I have it set up for xc and light freeride, its a killer trail bike, freeride bike, and it felt good on the DJs too. I havent had a chance to ride it DH so i cant give you any input on how it performs there, im sure it is amazing there as well.

If your not going to be pedaling around the imp for any lengthy ammount of time, or on the trails, then you'll probably like it. I tend to like a more do it all bike, which includes trail friend, and the imperial was far from at home on the trails IMO. They are nice for dj/park/dh/fr tho.

Heres a pic of my ridge for you to drool over ;)

#14 · (Edited)
i think i might go with the imperial it looks like it has great craftsmanship and strength. thanks for the advice. just comparing specs, the imperial matches up with the morphine in every way, but has some little things that the morphine doesnt, like more adjustability in the chainstay, and the disc caliper positioning, so i geuss ill go for that. thanks for the advice morhpine freak and banshee rider, but i am gonna go for the imp

#17 ·
Banshee Rider said:
I had a years worth of time in the saddle on the morphine. It was a very nice, burly, versitile frame. I had it set up with a sherman, boxxer, and a monster t, in each case it served its purpose very well.

Now i'm currently on a Sinister Ridge, which is very pimp. It has a 1.5 headtube so you have the option to run the bigger sherman SCs. Handwelded here in new england, i'm impressed with the bike so far. I have it set up for xc and light freeride, its a killer trail bike, freeride bike, and it felt good on the DJs too. I havent had a chance to ride it DH so i cant give you any input on how it performs there, im sure it is amazing there as well.

If your not going to be pedaling around the imp for any lengthy ammount of time, or on the trails, then you'll probably like it. I tend to like a more do it all bike, which includes trail friend, and the imperial was far from at home on the trails IMO. They are nice for dj/park/dh/fr tho.

Heres a pic of my ridge for you to drool over ;)
wow even this soldier

stands erect for you

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.