Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

lyrik solo air: can i add compression adjust?

5K views 70 replies 22 participants last post by  ChrisP125 
#1 ·
hey all, interested in the new spec enduro comp, but im a little turned off by the lack of compression adjust on the lyrik solo air. im wondering, is it possible to add compression adjust? how much would it cost me and how difficult would it be to install?

#3 ·
glitz said:
Get something else where they don't get a custom-specced, cost-saving fork with the look (and perceived value) of a more expensive outfit.
Ouch! I had heard a lot of great things about the enduro comp. You really think the next one up is worth it? Like $1k more for a seatpost and compression adjust. ...

#4 ·
That's how they work: the people that know they will buy higher. Those that don't, well, they are the ones that will buy it. It's win-win for Specialized.

I would not get a bike in this travel range without compression adjust. It's quite silly, actually. It's like going back to 2000, when bikes in this travel range weren't multi-purpose, do it all bikes.

#6 ·
You can buy the damper and fit it on the stock fork. The question is: Even if you buy it and install it, will you feel the difference?????? If you think you are a good enough rider that needs high and low speed compression then you should look somewhere else and not on the entry level enduro.

I have said it before and I will say it again!!!!: Leave the ultra adjustable suspension forks and shocks for the pros or the ones that race a lot or at least the ones that know how to adjust them!!!! The rest of us will be happy on our bike having fun even if we have only one rebound knob to play with. Nobody likes the guys with super expensive bikes who are last both when climbing and when descending.... I really like it when I smoke the ones that have fox 40 rc2s or world cup boxxers or dorados etc with my trusty cheap and simple domain!!!!!

GET IT???????

#7 ·
tsivis83 said:
You can buy the damper and fit it on the stock fork. The question is: Even if you buy it and install it, will you feel the difference?????? If you think you are a good enough rider that needs high and low speed compression then you should look somewhere else and not on the entry level enduro.

I have said it before and I will say it again!!!!: Leave the ultra adjustable suspension forks and shocks for the pros or the ones that race a lot or at least the ones that know how to adjust them!!!! The rest of us will be happy on our bike having fun even if we have only one rebound knob to play with. Nobody likes the guys with super expensive bikes who are last both when climbing and when descending.... I really like it when I smoke the ones that have fox 40 rc2s or world cup boxxers or dorados etc with my trusty cheap and simple domain!!!!!

GET IT???????
I'll agree that bells and whistles are not a necessity but you don't have to be a "pro" to own one. I'll further add that a beginner can benefit from adjustable tuning as much as a pro. Your last statements are quite biased with jealousy written all over it :nono:

#8 ·
so what you are saying is that i really shouldnt focus on the compression adjustment. im really not a pro. and i just want the bike for rockier trials. ive already got a stumpy with locking front fork, so really, this should be fine.

right?

i dont need compression adjust.....despite what fox and sram would have me believe, i just want it because its fancy

right RIGHT?

#10 ·
glitz said:
That's how they work: the people that know they will buy higher. Those that don't, well, they are the ones that will buy it. It's win-win for Specialized.

I would not get a bike in this travel range without compression adjust. It's quite silly, actually. It's like going back to 2000, when bikes in this travel range weren't multi-purpose, do it all bikes.
That's the glass-half-empty view. Here's the glass-half-full version:

Specialized makes a great product, for example the new Enduro which has gotten pretty much universal rave reviews around the world. Rightfully, they charge about the same money as other manufacturers for the high-end models (why shouldn't they - it's clearly one of the leading bikes in this category today). However, they also use their substantial industry clout to squeeze out an entry-level model, by getting cheaper parts. However, even if those parts don't have all the bells and whistles of the high-end models, some of these are still CUSTOM-SPECCED, meaning they have actually been set up properly for the bike. These entry-level models are then offered to a wider public, who are perhaps not ready to sink $4-5k in a bike just yet. And yes, for those people, the lack of compression adjust on the Lyric will not make a big difference to their riding right away (and even later as they progress, most fork issues can be sorted with a shock pump and the rebound knob - especially given that the Lyric does not seem overly prone to brake-dive for instance...or, sorted with a quick trip to the shop to retrofit new cartridges).

So yeah, that sounds like a win-win alright - a win for Specialized, and a win for the customers. All of them.

#11 ·
lifeis11 said:
so what you are saying is that i really shouldnt focus on the compression adjustment. im really not a pro. and i just want the bike for rockier trials. ive already got a stumpy with locking front fork, so really, this should be fine.

right?

i dont need compression adjust.....despite what fox and sram would have me believe, i just want it because its fancy

right RIGHT?
I have a Lyrik Solo Air and I like the high speed compression adjust because I can crank it up for doing big drops when I FR. But for just trail riding you should take tsivis83's advice and JUST RIDE!

Have FUN!

G MAN

#13 ·
keen---> I am not jealous and I actually can buy a very expensive fork, BUT I don't need it. And I am NOT the fastest biker on the planet, that is for sure. I am also sure you know what I mean and deep down everybody agrees. I have also written to other of my posts that It is better to spend a lot of money to parts such as high end wheels, maybe the recent "innovations" like the hammerschmidt or a good adjustable seatpost etc etc.... Also I didn't mean to sound stupid or arrogant with my previous post, I just like to be realistic.

lifeis11--->Just ride the bike ( if you decide to buy it) as much as you can regardless of adjustments. I just feel a victim when I buy stuff that are just fancy.

#14 ·
tsivis83 said:

GET IT???????
What kind of advice is this? The Lyrik that comes on this level Enduro is missing the compression damping assembly altogether. Does it absolutely need it? Probably not, but it would sure help with brake dive and bottoming. Its cheap to get and install. Get it, and learn how to adjust your suspension.

If you are happy with just rebound adjust, great. But don't make that assumption for everyone.

That model Enduro is a great deal. The DH compression assembly will set you back around $200 more, but then you have a fully cabable 6" bike that rides great without paying that extra grand for the Expert model.

#15 ·
Scotth72 said:
What kind of advice is this? The Lyrik that comes on this level Enduro is missing the compression damping assembly altogether. Does it absolutely need it? Probably not, but it would sure help with brake dive and bottoming. Its cheap to get and install. Get it, and learn how to adjust your suspension.

If you are happy with just rebound adjust, great. But don't make that assumption for everyone.

That model Enduro is a great deal. The DH compression assembly will set you back around $200 more, but then you have a fully cabable 6" bike that rides great without paying that extra grand for the Expert model.
soooo. where could i buy this assembly?

#19 · (Edited)
Scotth72 said:
The Lyrik that comes on this level Enduro is missing the compression damping assembly altogether.
It's missing a knob, it has compression damping.

Glitz is somewhat correct in that Specialized has OEMed parts to make them seem more than they are. I know I got nailed on a 06 Enduro with a Marz "All Mountain SL" which was really a crap "AM SL". Specialized seem to be backing down on this now. They may even be reversing course, and speccing "lesser" models with bonus items (Enduro Lyric R has Maxel Lite: pre-Maxel Lite on aftermarket Lyrics, Elixer R's with aluminum back pads, Deore SL rear hub and wheelset still is under 1800g(!))

That said...

Lyric R is equivalent to a Float R. What is wrong with that spec? Nothing to hide there.

I bought a 2010 Enduro Comp with the Lyric R with the intention of putting the DH damper in or start messing with the shim stack. I rode it a few times to find a baseline of performance before modding. I found the damper to be quite good for me & my riding. So far the only weakness is some bobbing during stand and mash sessions.

Different riders prefer different feels, and so far I am lucky it fits what I like. I like consistent, non-divey, controlled stroke, will accept more feedback through the hands for consistency. I have yet to hit bottom. Me = happy after 6 months. Right now, I am not looking to replace the compression damper (which is all that needs replacing. Rebound is dual flow as on the other Lyric forks.)

P

#22 ·
I've got a MiCo cartridge taken out of my 08 Lyrik when I replaced it with the DH cartridge. I'll get rid of it cheap, PM me if you're interested.

Pretty easy to replace: open the top cap on one side of the crown, lube the cartridge, thread it in, screw the adjuster cap on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.