Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Seat post mounted rack with adjustable seat?

2K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  CommuterBoy 
#1 ·
I just picked up a KS-950i adjustable seat post, and I love it! but I installed it without thinking about the Seat post mounted rack I have http://www.topeak.com/products/Racks/MTXBeamRackE-Type

I bought the rack to use to mount my lunch cooler on. It is too big to carry in a back pack.

I have a feeling that I am unable to use the rack on my adjustable seat post. I tried mounting it on the smaller seat post but it is oily from going in and out of the bigger seat post.

I tried mounting it on the bigger tube, but there is not enough room between the frame and the small seat post. What do I do? I do not want to get a rear rack and permanently mount it on there. I use my MTB as a commuter. I do not want to buy a separate bike.

Mike

#2 ·
What kind of bike? If it's a hardtail, you could just get a conventional rack that mounts to the dropouts and the chainstay bridge. They only weigh a few hundred grams, and I can't tell the difference in my bike's handling with one unless it's loaded. So it should work better for your commute without effecting how it rides on the trail.

#6 ·
You could just leave your seatpost mounted rack mounted to your old seatpost and swap the whole seatpost/saddle/rack assembly for your commutes. If you have a quick release and mark your heights it shouldn't be a big deal, and you'd only need to buy a second saddle.

#8 ·
CommuterBoy said:
Do you have to pack a cooler? I've been carrying the lunch in a plastic grocery sack in my backpack for years...no fridge at work. How much do you eat?
I eat alittle bit all day. I fill a playmate cooler. Fruits vegetables, granola bar sandwich yogurt fruit cup. I drive a tractor trailer locally and my truck gets hot. I do not enjoy warm yogurt or sandwiches. My backpack is full of shoes and clothes to change into.

#9 ·
AndrwSwitch said:
You could just leave your seatpost mounted rack mounted to your old seatpost and swap the whole seatpost/saddle/rack assembly for your commutes. If you have a quick release and mark your heights it shouldn't be a big deal, and you'd only need to buy a second saddle.
This is probably my best option. Now I need to research saddles!

#10 ·
tracerprix said:
I eat alittle bit all day. I fill a playmate cooler. Fruits vegetables, granola bar sandwich yogurt fruit cup. I drive a tractor trailer locally and my truck gets hot. I do not enjoy warm yogurt or sandwiches. My backpack is full of shoes and clothes to change into.
aah, the truck cab complicates things...my lunch goes in a cool cupboard at work, and I'm able to stash clothes/shoes at work as well. My yogurt is just at 'drinkable' temperature/texture by lunch. In your case I second the additional saddle/post option. Swapping them out would be easy, and you could keep the rack attached...super quick to change the bike from commuter mode to trail mode.

I scored a really nice fi:zi'k saddle at a LBS in a discount bin once...they said lots of people buy a new bike with a high-end saddle, and swap the saddle out for a cheap gel one because they're not used to real saddles...they had a tub full of hundred dollar seats that they were selling for 30 bucks. I never thought about this before, but it makes sense that folks would be scared of them ...worth calling around to some shops before you order one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.