Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

do we like formula DH hubs?

1K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  DanD 
#1 ·
well, actually I should say do you? I'm looking into a set laced to single tracks for moderate freeriding and general northshore ripping.

#4 ·
Here in Vancouver, what I hear is that the front 20mm hubs are a great deal as they work well and are cheap. I bought one for my wife's Bullit. Also owned a conventional front hub for her XC bike with no problems.

On the rear hubs, I hear the freehub portion isn't that great. This is in the past so they might have been improved by now. I've never owned one.

#5 ·
The 20mm front hubs are fine and work great for no money.

The rear hubs have a notorious problem with the freehubs blowing up. Giant actually switched their spec mid-year on the 2002 AC's because they were having so many problems with them.

Get an XT rear for less than $50 and be happy :)

#6 ·
BJ- said:
i dunno...

when i get mine on my new bike ill let you know...there laced to single tracks also...but not for long if i can help it...

(they should be fine)
I ran that same setup for awhile... they worked flawlessly.....

#7 ·
binary visions said:
The 20mm front hubs are fine and work great for no money.

The rear hubs have a notorious problem with the freehubs blowing up. Giant actually switched their spec mid-year on the 2002 AC's because they were having so many problems with them.

Get an XT rear for less than $50 and be happy :)
ya, I'm running formula front and xt rear, no complaints, although I do wish I had more engagement points on the rear

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.