Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Moving to TN from FL

601 views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  jayjudy13 
#1 ·
As the title states ill be moving from tampa florida to knoxville. Curious if anyone on here knows of any downhill oriented trails out that way..I know of windrock in west knoxville (videos from vholdr) but not sure of the downhillness if you will of the trail. I heard of a superD course being built in souther TN but not sure of the progress etc. btw I ride a 2010 giant reign 2. Itd be nice if Gatlinburg ski resort had a lift assisted trail in summer, but im not sure if anyone knows anything on that...

#2 ·
bsteven2 said:
As the title states ill be moving from tampa florida to knoxville. Curious if anyone on here knows of any downhill oriented trails out that way..I know of windrock in west knoxville (videos from vholdr) but not sure of the downhillness if you will of the trail.
Windrock has a bunch of seriously fun, burly DH trails. Some of the best in the east. I'd rate it very high for "downhilliness" :p :rolleyes:

#3 ·
Windrock is some serious DH, make sure you have some skills before going there, because it is not beginner or even intermediate friendly. I doubt that Reign can handle the trails at Windrock very long.

I'm 99.9% sure Ober Gatlinburg doesn't have lift access DH. They use the lift in the summer for scenic rides, and the alpine slide access. Gatlinburg is a tourist town so that ski resort in the summer turns into an amusement park.

There was a lift access park that opened in Asheville, NC in 2008, but I think they closed.

Other than that, there is Snowshoe WV, which is like 6 or 7 hours away.

#4 ·
Awesome, thanks..serious about my reign not handling windrock that long I mean I watched the videos on vholdr and it looked fun but didnt seem like anything it couldnt handle like N* or Whistler? Just read something on Raccoon Mtn, any info on that?

#5 ·
Videos of windrock do not do justice. That place is steep and gnarly. you will def want to pick up a DH rig in no time. And yeah NC has some lift accessible trails. When you get settled in post when and where you want to ride in the "south" thread on ridemonky. There is always people wanting to ride.

#6 ·
There are some trails on Windrock you probably will want a bigger bike. As others have said, Snowshoe is close. Sugar Mtn in NC has some stuff going on and there are some races that happen in SC and Carter's in GA. Go to Knoxville Cycling, that is were all the locals hang out. If you have a Giant, then def check out Harper's as they are the best Giant dealer in the area and they are tied in to the DH/FR/DJ seen a little more than some of the other shops.

#8 ·
oldskoolbiker said:
Windrock is some serious DH, make sure you have some skills before going there, because it is not beginner or even intermediate friendly.
Disagree. It has some good expert stuff for sure, but there is plenty for bottom-end intermediate riders there. All the big drops/jumps have go arounds as well. Might be a few steep sections that a beginning rider would have some trouble on, that's about it.

#10 ·
Windrock is a DH location. I am not going to get into what skill level it is or is not but it is a big upgrade from where you are coming from. You can "ride it" with your reign but most use a full DH bike. If you are moving there, ride it and decide for yourself. NC is blowing up with races again this year, snowshoe series is close,and there is a new trail network at the TTC(trials training center) just outside of Chattanooga(about 2 hours away). Post up in the South forum on Ridemonkey or track down Profro(Doug) and he can give you all the info you need.

#11 ·
I live in Knoxville and am a Windrock regular. I have seen people ride a bike like a Reign 2 at Windrock's DH trails but they where either off the charts pro racer skilled or having a bad time or both. Most folks ride 7" bikes as a minimum, full face and knee pads a minimum protection, Leatt braces and chest protectors are common. Harper Bike shop in Knoxville has a demo Faith O you can alway borrow and take to the rock to give it a try. There are technical XC (all mountain) trails at Windrock behind the campground and on top of Walden's ridge where your Rain would do well.

We have tons of other great mountain biking in the area for all skill levels XC, DH, DJ you name it. Lots of local contacts and info can be made through :
http://www.knoxvillecycling.com/

#12 ·
HTFR said:
Videos of windrock do not do justice...
+1 I have heard so many people say "I've seen vids of WR, it doesn't look that tough..." and then when they ride it they suddenly get respect for the trail. I'm not trying to say its the toughest trail system out there (or even in the east, I really hate those debates anyway) but it's definitely no joke...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.