Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Lyrik Coil U-Turn - good match for DW 5 Spot

2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  smaxor 
#1 ·
I was debating whether to go with a Fox 36 TALAS, Fox Float, or RS Lyrik Coil U-turn. I decided to go with the Lyrik. I have four rides with the Lyrik and it matches up real nice. I recently have had the RS revelation 150 which is also a very nice fork for the DW Spot. Although the Lyrik is approximately 1.3 lbs heavier than the Revelation I really did not notice the weight. Obviously it is stiffer than the Rev and this was very noticeable in the rough stuff. I really like the ability to adjust the travel in 3 mm increments. It is buttery smooth - again no surprise for a coil.

I also just purchased a GD turbo and I tried it for the first time today. It took a little bit of time to get comfortable with it. What a difference on the steep descents! The bike was so stable when the seat was lowered - no surprise.

I had this bike built up at 27 lbs for a couple of endurance races. It now weighs 29.8 with the coil Lyrik and the GD. However, I really have not noticed the weight. I have been on the DW Spot for over a year and still enjoy it as much as I did the first time I rode it.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Which damper did you get in the Lyric? I've got a ton of miles on mine and absolutely love the thing. I re-shimmed the high speed stack to handle my big butt better, went from 3, 20 x .10mm to 1, 20 x .10mm and 2 20 x .15mm, works nice.

And the Gravity Dropper is an amazing addition to any bike. Really brings em to life on the downhills, and believe it or not it helps in the mud, gets your weight back over the bike more and drives the rear tire better while floating the front.

happy trails...

squish

#4 ·
squish said:
Which damper did you get in the Lyric? I've got a ton of miles on mine and absolutely love the thing. I re-shimmed the high speed stack to handle my big butt better, went from 3, 20 x .10mm to 1, 20 x .10mm and 2 20 x .15mm, works nice.

And the Gravity Dropper is an amazing addition to any bike. Really brings em to life on the downhills, and believe it or not it helps in the mud, gets your weight back over the bike more and drives the rear tire better while floating the front.

happy trails...

squish
I was not aware there was different dampers? It was amazing how noticeable the GD improved the handling on descents - I could definitely go faster without feeling out of control.

#5 ·
JT,

Yup, there are two, the DH which does not have a flood gate, just a straight open high speed damper, and a much more aggressive shim stack. The standard one, which it looks like you have, has the flood gate and a slightly less aggressive high speed stack.

Very good fork overall, only thing I'd give it up for would be a 2010 Vanilla!

happy trails...

squish

#6 ·
squish said:
JT,

Yup, there are two, the DH which does not have a flood gate, just a straight open high speed damper, and a much more aggressive shim stack. The standard one, which it looks like you have, has the flood gate and a slightly less aggressive high speed stack.

Very good fork overall, only thing I'd give it up for would be a 2010 Vanilla!

happy trails...

squish
Thanks - I have the standard. Interesting - 2010 Vanilla. I have actually been disappointed with Fox this year. I have tried a 2010 Float and TALAS - both were ok but did not "wow" me. But that is not to say the Vanilla would not be a great fork. I am always interested in trying new stuff . . .

#8 ·
Can't really compare a long travel air fork to a coil imho. I have yet to come across one that actually worked like a coil, was always kind of disappointed with most of the long travel air forks I've used. A lot of folks will argue with me, but I'll take the extra weight, suppleness and dependability any day. I like the FIT damper, feels nice out of the box, doesn't look like a lot of fun to bleed and rebuild though.

BBW, the fork rocks, and I'll second your view of CK hubs. I've got a couple different sets and none of them have less than 2000 miles one has over 10k on it! But I have to say I've got a Marzocchi QR20 hub on the RFX at the moment, couldn't afford a CK at the time, and it's been a really solid hub, no issues what so ever.

happy trails...

squish

#9 ·
squish said:
Can't really compare a long travel air fork to a coil imho. I have yet to come across one that actually worked like a coil, was always kind of disappointed with most of the long travel air forks I've used. A lot of folks will argue with me, but I'll take the extra weight, suppleness and dependability any day.
I'd have to wholeheartedly agree with this as well.

Are the new 2010 Lyriks any more reliable/dependable than they were when the first came out a few years ago? I had one when they first were available, (2007 or 2008?) and I ended up going through 6 of them for warranty issues. 4 were loose bushings after less than 10 rides each time, then one the bushings came loose and the floodgate thing quit working.

Fantastic feeling fork though, best I ever felt in 160mm range honestly. I was super bummed when it they all went to crap. I ebay'd the last one without ever riding it.

I'd run another again though, if I knew or got a good feeling all the issues were gone.

#10 ·
4k miles on mine, and the only thing I've done is change the oil and swap the bushings. Mine wore out in the first 6 months because they weren't properly sized from the factory. I took the time, got the tools and fitted them myself, no issues since, working at a shop has it's advantages.

Mine is an 08 and I haven't had any weird creaking or anything like that. The flood gate worked just fine, but I have since removed it, I simply didn't use it and wanted more oil flow through the damper. Might have to pony up for the DH damper before spring! In all one of the best "new" forks I've owned.

happy trails...

squish

#12 ·
rscecil007 said:
I'd have to wholeheartedly agree with this as well.

Are the new 2010 Lyriks any more reliable/dependable than they were when the first came out a few years ago? I had one when they first were available, (2007 or 2008?) and I ended up going through 6 of them for warranty issues. 4 were loose bushings after less than 10 rides each time, then one the bushings came loose and the floodgate thing quit working.

Fantastic feeling fork though, best I ever felt in 160mm range honestly. I was super bummed when it they all went to crap. I ebay'd the last one without ever riding it.

I'd run another again though, if I knew or got a good feeling all the issues were gone.
Time will tell regarding reliability - I have four rides on mine. I have a 2010 Revelation and have ridden it for eight months without any issues. IMO the quality of RS have improved significantly over the last few years. I will definitely post up if I have any issues with the Lyrik. So far it is working great.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.