Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Eggbeater 17 deg

Votes: 13 59.1%
  • Eggbeater 20 deg

Votes: 4 18.2%

Time/ Eggbeaters 13/15 deg or 17/20 deg

749 views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  azjonboy 
#1 ·
I use Time pedals and have generally stayed with the 13 deg release, but recently I have been pulling out on some technical climbs so I've switched to the 15 deg. What works best for you?

#2 ·
I have Time's and I've never actually checked. I put the cleats on with the little arrow pointing forward on the shoe that corresponds to the L and R on them. If you're having problems with accidental release in tech, I would definitely not switch to Eggbeaters. One of the reasons I switched to Times was the constant accidental release I was experiencing with CB pedals.

#3 ·
sean salach said:
I have Time's and I've never actually checked. I put the cleats on with the little arrow pointing forward on the shoe that corresponds to the L and R on them. If you're having problems with accidental release in tech, I would definitely not switch to Eggbeaters. One of the reasons I switched to Times was the constant accidental release I was experiencing with CB pedals.
In that case your cleats are installed for the quicker 13 deg release. Originally they stamped stars on the "left" pedal to signify which side was the 13 deg side (install the star on the right and the cleats will release at 15 deg). Yours is the newer cleats with D(droit)/ R(right) on one pedal and G(gauche)/L(left). Set then up as stamped for 13 deg, reverse for 15 deg.

#5 ·
sean salach said:
I'm with this guy.. don't know, don't care. times with arrow pointing the way i want to go, ahead.

#11 ·
Shrederland said:
I switched to time recently with the faster option, sorry CB. Rocky trails = premature ejection.
Get a higher BB. You shouldn't be striking your pedal anyways. It should be a pretty rare thing.
subliminalshiver said:
Yes. You nail a pedal square down into a rock, the jaws are forced open releasing your shoe and your knee flies into the stem.
A little bit more awareness would prevent that. You should know when your foot becomes unclipped.

#16 ·
Schmucker said:
Get a higher BB.
This may be one of the strangest pieces of advice I've heard in a while. How, exactly does one, "Get a higher BB". It seems to imply that when you buy a bottom bracket, you get to choose how far off the ground it will be installed. :confused:

Schmucker said:
You should know when your foot becomes unclipped.
It doesn't sound like subliminalshiver had any problem knowing when his foot becomes unclipped, I'm sure the pain of his knee smashing into the stem of his bicycle removed any doubt that his pedal and shoe had separated :yikes:

I'm not trying to pick a fight, I just think the posts were far reaching. :rolleyes: By the way. I like that in a post :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.