Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Quito, Ecuador

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  gsomtb 
#1 ·
So I am in Ecuador with my in-laws and I couldnt imagine spending almost 10 days with them without some stress relief. After ding some searches, despite a few representatives here, there just was nothing that made me feel comfortable in such a short time that would be able to 1) find a bike, 2) find a guide, and 3)survive the ride because I have done little else but low elevtion single track on Long Island.

At the suggestion of hellocook, I lookedup bikingdutchman.com . After some back and forth emails with the proprietors, the basically seemed to be the best option for a newb to the area.

Typicall,they cater to larger groups andmulti-day tours. Also, they had a 2 person minimum. I worked out a deal with them and we were set for just me.

They picked me up in the city ad drove up to the valley that they work out of. Originally we talked about going to one ofthe volvanoes, but I was at 12,000 ft the day before and was no sure I would be ready for my first downhill ever 16k

Went fran early ride of single track down an abandoned railroad that goes and down canyon/river valley. nothing technical, but sme nice climbs and very scenic. The uphll was through a dark tunnel.

Threw the bikes n the jeep and headed to Papallacta Pass which I think was about 12k. Did some single track, and then downhill on some work roads. Got some nice speed and there was great scenery. Stoppd for lunch and then back up to the Pass and through some more downhill on the old roads.

I would imagine that there is better stuff, to be had, but this was a good first experience. Jan was a good guide and havng been the sole ****** in my trip for the last 8 days it was good to get out with someone, well, blancito. If I do get bck Quito I'l feel better going out hunting for somethings on my own. But given the circumstances, the combination of tanporation, a ride, lunch, guide, and a ride back, it was good deal. If you're a hard core downhiller, you sould metion it them.

See less See more
#2 ·
Is there much singletrack to be had?

I ask b/c my Aunt owns a house in Vilcabamba and says mtb is blowing up down there.....all I can find on the interwebs are guided trips that look like lots of dirt roads.....and she would not know singletrack from an interstate.

I've hiked the Inca Trail and would love to ride similar trails......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.