Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Help: South Africa MTB hol

3K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  ubermach429 
#1 ·
Hi all,

Will be heading over to South Africa in February next year for my brothers wedding near Cape Town and am contemplating after the wedding on going on an mtb holiday/tour.

I’ve had a little look on the web but can’t really make any clear decisions on any good companies and riding locations and what would be best to do for about a week.

Has anyone got any experiences that can help me decide on what to do. Im a pretty fit rider and love flowing singletrack and big climbs. I’m not really a full on downhill rider but would like to take my 6” travel full susser (if needed) so i can give everything a go.

Any help, would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

steve

#2 ·
Steve,

I'm from South Africa living in Chile South America.

There are some real nice trails in this region of the country. If you have contacts there let them go to a bike shops and ask the locals for the infromation you seek. You'll always find friendly bikeshop workers wanting to assist people from all over to explore the natural beauty of the country.

Also check out this link: http://www.capetownsafaris.com/travel-in-cape-town/cape-town-day-trips/cape-point-with-bicycles.html

Hope this helps.

#3 ·
Cape Town, South Africa & Botswana bike safari Adventure

Tired of the cold snowy northern climates? Looking for something new and exciting? Why not join us and head South to sunshine, blue skies and shimmering seas, for an unforgettable mountain bike journey?

At houseMARTIN, our goal is to provide a unique, once in a lifetime adventure, that will leave you satiated with majestic African memories.

We specialize in small group adventures, to better experience hidden gems that could not otherwise be explored by larger groups. You will be riding epic singletrack trails, eating delicious traditional food and sleeping in luxury accommodation - ranging from beautiful guest houses to stylish tents all hidden in fynbos under a blanket of stars. Our professional guides will ensure a unique cultural experience combined with miles of stunning singletrack scenery.

We would love to share our passion for mountain biking and the hidden wonders of our native country with you.

Never stop riding! Never stop exploring!

Check out our website for details on our next trip 2 -12 March 2010 at www.ridehousemartin.com

Anka Martin

houseMARTIN
Mountain Bike Adventures

Attachments

#4 ·
You'll love it here - specially coming down to Cape Town.
In the Cape Town area, make sure you visit these areas:
Cape Town - Tokai (anyone will be able to direct you where that is)
Grabouw - Oak Valley, Oak Lane (Grabouw is about an hour and a half from Cape Town)
Stellenbosch - Jonkershoek (About an hour to hour and a half from Cape Town)

Also, feel free to visit www.thehubsa.co.za, which is one of the 'local' forums in South Africa, if you mention the times etc, you'll be able to hook up with other riders in your fitness and preference, might be helpful.

Enjoy!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.