Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Post your Steel WW SS's

7K views 73 replies 36 participants last post by  cjonesin420 
#1 ·
I know that the words steel and weight weenie don't typically go together but I'd like to see some pics of your light weight steel SS's. Think I'm going to build one up over the winter. Post them up!

#5 · (Edited)
This my Bontrager conversion I did a few years back; TheOneSpeedBiker The blog has more pictures

The Frame is a 1993 ish Race Lite with Surly Sub11 dropouts and a Rocklobster fork.

Brakes- Dia Comp cantilevers OEM
Levers- Suntour OEM
Headset- 1" Cane Creek S2
Wheels- Surly hubs/ Sun MACH IV rims
Tires- Hutchinson Pythons 2.3 front/ 2.1 rear
Handlebar- Bontrager Racelite OEM
Grips- ESI
Barends- Bontarger Racelite
Seatpost- Titec/Bontarger carbon
Stem- 1" Ibis Ti
Saddle- Sette Race Ti
BB- FSA Ti
Cranks- Bontrager
Pedals- Time ATAC Titan Carbon
Water Bottle Cage- King Ti
Misc Ti bolts and QR front axle; rear tandem QR axle

Final weight- 19.75 lbs

Attachments

#8 ·
Amnesia said:
Get the wheels first! Wheels are one of the biggest upgrades you could make and it's all rotational weight you can save.
But they are expensive! Im gonna have to save up some cash and wait until i can find a decent used set for sale. Im also scared to trash a nice wheelset and thats been holding me back from getting any carbon parts also. The bike has seen hell in less than a year and it has never left me stranded or been unridable due to a broken part. But, iv got the itch to upgrade and cash fow sucks these days so small steps will have to do.

Mellow cat. Im torn between liking the ebb or not. Sometimes its awesome and sometimes it blows. If i set it right and it stays, it will stay untill i try to swap cogs or something. Im gonna try a carver soon though. The new 2010 XXIX is no longer set screw though. I wonder how it will do.

#9 ·
Just ordered an 09 Monocog Flight. I have a white set of Stan's ZTR 355's with ZTR hubs and I also have a rear 09 American Classic wheel. I'm thinking of selling the Stan's wheels and getting another AC front wheel and having the rear wheel built around a nice SS hub. Maybe a Truvativ Noir 1:1 crank, Juicy Ultimates or Formula R1's and Carbon bits everywhere else. I want to stick with the stock frame/fork. Should come out really nice I think.

#10 ·
Diesel,

Have you taken your XXIX down and weighed the frame and fork? I did, they are both tanks. The fork was 3lbs If I remember correctly. Hell, you could lose a 1lb with a decent fork, but there aren't many non-suspension corrected 29'er forks out there to choose from. I switched my XXIX parts to a KM frame. I like the KM much, much better than the XXIX. Better fit for me, smoother ride, faster handling.

#12 ·
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=555547

mine is 21.5lbs, the S&S couplers added about a pound to the frame weight but well worth it since I will be going to SSWC in New Zealand next year and wont have to pay a penny extra to take my bike with me. :thumbsup:

Some Formula R1s or Avid/SRAM XX brakes will drop some weight as well

#13 ·
scooter916 said:
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=555547

mine is 21.5lbs, the S&S couplers added about a pound to the frame weight but well worth it since I will be going to SSWC in New Zealand next year and wont have to pay a penny extra to take my bike with me. :thumbsup:

Some Formula R1s or Avid/SRAM XX brakes will drop some weight as well
Your gonna love NZ Scooter, Rotorua hosts some of the finest trails down this end of the world and its a place I visit 2-3 times a year. If you can make it to Taupo's Craters of the Moon, the trails there are a SS'ers dream too.

Might see ya there:thumbsup:

#14 ·
Flat Ark said:
Just ordered an 09 Monocog Flight. I have a white set of Stan's ZTR 355's with ZTR hubs and I also have a rear 09 American Classic wheel. I'm thinking of selling the Stan's wheels and getting another AC front wheel and having the rear wheel built around a nice SS hub. Maybe a Truvativ Noir 1:1 crank, Juicy Ultimates or Formula R1's and Carbon bits everywhere else. I want to stick with the stock frame/fork. Should come out really nice I think.
Plan sounds like a good one - the Flight is a stellar bike and the fork matches up very well.

#16 ·
MellowCat said:
Diesel,

Have you taken your XXIX down and weighed the frame and fork? I did, they are both tanks. The fork was 3lbs If I remember correctly. Hell, you could lose a 1lb with a decent fork, but there aren't many non-suspension corrected 29'er forks out there to choose from. I switched my XXIX parts to a KM frame. I like the KM much, much better than the XXIX. Better fit for me, smoother ride, faster handling.
There are many 26" rigid forks with the proper length and offset.

#17 ·
Older pic of my current ride. Vicious Cycles Monolith, Moots ti post, Thompson Masterpiece stem, CK headset, Vicious rigid fork, Mavic 817/CK hubs DT swiss triple butted spokes wheelset, XT hollow cranks, XTR hydr brakes, WTB ti seat and Easton Monkey carbon bars along with a few tidbits here and there....weighs in at just a shade under 19lbs

#19 ·
My wife's bike is a budget WW steel ride. Kona Unit 26", race-lite wheelset with ceramic coated rims, old lx v-brakes, answer carbon bar, etc... I'm guessing that at its lightest with the rigid fork it was around 23 lbs. Not bad for $600. :D

Shown below a little heavier with the squish and heavy pedals.

#23 ·
big_slacker said:
diSSent Fe, nice!

I've got the AL version and want a light wheelset. I was planning on hope and arch. How are the 355's holding up and what is your weight?
355's are holdiing up great. Only 2 months of use though.. done a few races, one 5hr enduro, and it's rooty, rocky here, but no drops. saying that, Stans has a new wider/lighter 355 replacement coming for 2010. more like the race rim. better for tubeless.

Running 20psi rear 19psi front and I'm only 138lbs during race season!!... this will probably be my full time race bike now... stupid fast!

#24 ·
Alot of sweet rides on here....that are superlite! I thought my 1x1 @ 24lbs wasn't bad but you guys hittin 20lbs and below seems crazy! Now I'm wondering what I can do to lighten the load....but I'm also afraid some of the lighter componentry, such as wheels, won't fare so well with my weight and some of the overly rooty trails I ride. I'm curious to know the average weight of the riders with these superlite rides?? I didn't think I was too hefty @ 180lbs or so but I see Sherwin states he's 138lbs during race season which is signifigantly less than me....would those 355's with Revs hold up to 40+ more lbs??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.