Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Monocog Flight brake rotors

642 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  medieval 
#1 ·
Does anyone know if there is a max. size for the brake rotor on the stock MC Flight fork? I want to run a BB7, 180mm, but don't want to destroy my fork. I currently have the stock BB5, 160mm, it's just not enough. What are the rest of you running?

Redline c/s was of no help on the issue.

Thanks.

#2 ·
I am putting a 203mm on mine... I cant see why it would be a problem at all... the fork will flex more, but its steel... it will be ok. I need the extra bite up front, for control on the tech stuff. Control is good.

#3 ·
I've ridden many miles on a Flight fork, albeit with a 160mm rotor. But I am familiar with the fork - I think you'd be fine with a 180/185mm rotor. 203mm might be fine, especially under normal rigid riding conditions, but I'd be a little leery of 203mm if you're some sort of nutjob that's riding absolutely ridiculous stuff on that rigid and putting serious stresses on the fork/brake.

Another consideration: If you are swapping out your BB5's for BB7's, that change alone will increase your braking power. You might try the BB7's with a 160mm first to see if that meets your needs, and if not, then move up to a 185mm.

#5 ·
Thanks for the answers, guys. I know that 160's just aren't enough for where I ride. I have a 185 on the front of my other bike, and sometimes it's barely adequate.

My concern with the MC fork is how much it flexes, even with the small rotor. I ride fast and technical trails, and I like to be able to scrub a lot of speed quickly. I don't want to have the fork snap going into a rock garden.

If no one else has had trouble, I'll stop worrying so much about it. :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.