Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Hub/freewheel combo to give 50mm chainline

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Fullrange Drew 
#1 ·
My On One Inbred is optimised for a 50mm chainline. At present I'm using a Hope XC hub plus Rennen spacers, but I'd like to get a proper dedicated SS hub and freewheel.

Problem is that details on chainline seem to be few and far between and I really don't want to fork out a wad on a wheel build only to discover that I've screwed things up.

So, can anyone suggest a decent disc compatible hub freewheel combo that will give me a 50mm chainline? (centre of sprocket 17.5mm from inner face of drive side dropout)

#2 ·
Surly and a freewheel is 53.5. WI Eno hub is spaced to 47.5, I think. I just did a Scandal build with a Surly hub and had to use a 115 spindle bottom bracket and 3.5mm of spacers to get the chainline correct with my spiderless XT M750's and an ISAR/Homebrewed chainring.

It's really pretty easy to shim your chainline out and 53.5 will work fine, the Scandal is pretty much an aluminum Inbred.

#4 ·
Hmm, my problem is that I've got a BB I really like (SKF) and a crankset/chainring combo that I really like (middleburn Uno) and I'd prefer not to change either. Really don't want to move the BB off center either if I can help it, so spacing the drive side across is not really an option.

Looks like it's white industries or one of the splined options...

#7 · (Edited)
I don't think I saw it specified... What is your current chainline? You would want a hub to match that. When On One says the Inbred is "optimized" for a 50mm chainline, they are saying that to keep good clearance between the chainstay and the rings your crank's chainline should be out to at least 50mm, and I'm pretty sure this has the largest relevance to people running a triple up front.

Edit #2: I see i misread the first post and you do in fact have a 50mm chainline at your crank. Oops

#8 ·
I'm with dsuprise. I also have an Inbred, and running the chainring in the outer position (stylo cranks), a surly hub with a WI freewheel gets you within 1.5mm. Pretty darn close really. grab a ruler, look at how much 1.5mm is, then compare it to the length of your chainstays. 1.5 divided by 425mm give a deflection of 0.35%. Guaranteed that your chain will rattle around more than that over rocky ground...

C

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.