Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Which type of wheels would you get?

708 views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Flyer 
#1 ·
I'm in the process of deciding what wheels I want to put on my Misfit diSSent and I'm just curious. Do most of you get dedicated single speed wheelsets or do you run geared hubs with spacers? Why or why wouldn't you do this? Is there any difference in performance? Advantages or disadvantages? Why is it single speed wheels are more expensive?
This is my first experience with a single speed (apart from a conversion that is almost complete) and on that I just used an older wheelset and spacers and tensioner. Haven't even gotten to ride that one yet...

#4 ·
Like allready stated SS hub can be a bit stronger. As for price, probably has to do with supply and demand.

I have run ss hubs and 9 speed hubs with spacers. Both worked for me. The ss hub I had was a Chris King 36 spoke with a mavic 231 rim. Very srong no flex. Now using a XTR wheelset with spacers. The real difference while riding is weight and acceleration. These are 26" wheels by the way. Is the DiSSent a 29er? It doesn't matter the concepts are the same.

My personal preference as far as looks are concerned is use ss hub on a ss frame if it is in the budget. If you are converting a geared bike using a tensioner then use the wheels you have.

Also keep in mind possible resale and future use of the bike. A 9 speed wheel would be easier to put gears back on a converted bike.

I'm 200lbs and not hard on equipment so I can get away with lighter weight parts. you may need something strong if you ride hard.

#5 ·
I have found that I kill rear wheels on my SS. Therefore a dishless wheel is a huge plus for me.

I haven't noticed SS wheels having a higher price then a comparable geared wheel.

Also, if you like high engagement point wheels, the Surly hub/WI Trials freewheel is a great combo that won't break the bank. Same POE as King, for ~$170 vs ~$360 for Chris King.
Of course the Surly/WI combo weighs about 500g while the King with a cog weighs ~350g...

IMO There's no point in hedging your bets and getting a geared rear wheel with the thought that you may go back to gears some day. One is all you need. (See phase 5).

#7 ·
slowrider said:
If you ride geared as well as SS I'd buy a cassett hub and use spacers; more versitile and easier to sell if you ever want to. If you only ride SS go for the dedicated hub.
The diSSent is my first 29er and I don't know if I will ever go geared - but that's a good point about the versatility.

I am mostly a x-country/trails rider and am considering trying tubeless. I've been checking into a couple of sites online that build wheels and in one site alone, the dedicated single speed wheelset was $50 more than the wheelset with a geared rear wheel hub.

I guess bottom line I want something that will last and I'll be happy with as it's going to be the most expensive component on my bike - I don't want to sink money into something I'm going to have to replace soon down the road.

#8 ·
If you want lasting quality spring for a hand built wheelset. The quality of the build is at least as important as the rim selection when it comes to durability. Ask around, see if your LBS has a good wheelbuilder... or I've known people who are very happy with wheels built by lacemine29.com

If you let us know your budget we may be able to give more specific advice.

#10 ·
Frs1661 said:
If you want lasting quality spring for a hand built wheelset. The quality of the build is at least as important as the rim selection when it comes to durability. Ask around, see if your LBS has a good wheelbuilder... or I've known people who are very happy with wheels built by lacemine29.com

If you let us know your budget we may be able to give more specific advice.
Probably looking to spend around $750

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.