Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

New here (Hi) Crank questions...

643 views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  fishcreek 
#1 ·
I have an old bike that I want to convert over. Not sure how to go about making the crankset singlespeed. The arms that attach to the chain rings don't have screws holding them together. Is there a way to take it apart and just use the center ring? Or do I need new stuff?

Maybe a pic will help...

Sorry if these are retard questions...don't know much about the mechanical aspect of bikes

See less See more
#2 ·
These cranks are spot welded to each other-no go houston. Square taper cranks are pretty easy to come buy on ebay and cheap- I would suggest, if your budget allows to upgrade to at least an isis or octalink compatible crank. Much stiffer for ss use. You will need a bottom bracket to upgrade.Full upgrade will run anywhere from 50-80 from ebay for a set up that you will be happy with.

#3 ·
Yea, the rings are pressed together. Cant take them off. Low end stuff is like that.

Luckily, it looks like it was inevitable.

When teeth of a chainring begin to have a shark fin or pointy profile to them (like yours do), they need to be replaced along with the chain, and probably the rear cassette.

SS cranks can be found for very cheap, but the only problem is installing them as it takes a special tool or two.

#4 ·
#7 ·
You need to learn about chainline before you can pick your bottom bracket. If you're running a cassette hub in the back, you can adjust the chainline with spacers back there and don't need to worry about your bottom bracket spindle. But if you're using a freewheel it only has one chainline and you have to try to match it.

Start here:
http://sheldonbrown.com/singlespeed.html
And then keep clicking around the site until you've read everything and understand it.

#9 ·
shorter spindle is stiffer. narrow Q. and if you ever decide to run a larger chainring and use the outer spider position, it will less likely to give you any troubles with the chainline.

do not recycle chains. its not that expensive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.