Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

White Industries Trials Freewheel ♥

11K views 24 replies 17 participants last post by  sean salach 
#1 ·
Can I just gush a little bit here?

Dammit, this is the sexiest, smoothest, and most beautiful sounding Bit O' Kit that one could hope for, really! I thought that my Chris King hubs were the end all and be all of engagements, sure, I justified that the seals need some serious break-in time, and because of that, there's a good amount of drag beforehand, and sure, the Angry Bees are cute, but come on, White Industries does it right with their Trials Freewheel.

Of course, it only comes in 18T but that's perfect. 34/18 and I can push them! I must be getting stronger and sexier with age. Anyways, I have to say I enjoy the *click *click *click: a bit industrial music, a bit look at me, and seriously, a bit set and forget.

They've done me proper, what have you done for me lately?

#2 ·
googled that,cool sounding,about the two speed ,i wonder if people are using a spring loaded tensioner that can be easily relocated,are they using two front gears also two teeth apart,32/30 with a 17/19 you could probabely cross shift with no problem. i wonder how small/light rohloff could make a 4 or 5 speed wide range ,internal hub,that would hold up to high torque applications.

#3 ·
Natalie Portman said:
Can I just gush a little bit here?

Dammit, this is the sexiest, smoothest, and most beautiful sounding Bit O' Kit that one could hope for, really! I thought that my Chris King hubs were the end all and be all of engagements, sure, I justified that the seals need some serious break-in time, and because of that, there's a good amount of drag beforehand, and sure, the Angry Bees are cute, but come on, White Industries does it right with their Trials Freewheel.

Of course, it only comes in 18T but that's perfect. 34/18 and I can push them! I must be getting stronger and sexier with age. Anyways, I have to say I enjoy the *click *click *click: a bit industrial music, a bit look at me, and seriously, a bit set and forget.

They've done me proper, what have you done for me lately?
I just put on a white freewheel last week and that one buzzes pretty loud too. It reminds me of my white geared hub I had a few years back and that one was also loud. Love it!

#14 ·
i don't know that I would ever consider the white industries freewheel to be on par with a cassette hub system especially something like the ring drive system from King. pawls just aren't the best system IMHO... that being said, the white industries freewheels, trials or not, are really cool and do sound good, and if you already have a freewheel hub they cannot be beaten.

#15 ·
I dunno. The only downfall IMO is that the chain line is pretty much set in one spot based on hub choice, except for maybe mm or two using a small spacer behind the freewheel (cassette spaces fit fine).

Other than that, the thing is really solid. No excessive freewheel drag like with ring drive (I have a non trails FW). No chewed up cassette body. Sounds way better (IMO). Works consistent no matter what temp or condition. Teeth last a REALLY long time. The teeth are getting closer to the end, but I've kept decent chains on it and they will probably still last a while longer. Sealed very well. Mine is still as smooth as the day I first used it ~2.5 years ago, tons of miles. Perfectly round. In my experience it has been absolutely zero maintenance.

It takes a little bit of force to get one off, so I guess a cassette may be easier if you change cogs a bunch. But it's not that hard either way....

#16 ·
Be nice if someone made a freewheel with splines and interchangeable gears/adjustable chainline. The cogs wouldn't work on anything else, but it would be nice. you could change the cog size as easily as with a cassette hub, put multiple cogs on it, put the cog wherever you want, still use simple and inexpensive(or expensive) hubs and when the innards finally wore out, it would likely be about as much as a regular freewheel to replace, and just as easy.

#18 ·
sean salach said:
Be nice if someone made a freewheel with splines and interchangeable gears/adjustable chainline. The cogs wouldn't work on anything else, but it would be nice. you could change the cog size as easily as with a cassette hub, put multiple cogs on it, put the cog wherever you want, still use simple and inexpensive(or expensive) hubs and when the innards finally wore out, it would likely be about as much as a regular freewheel to replace, and just as easy.
Exactly!!! I made a thread many months ago about the same idea and no one seemed to care... probably because I can't actually make them and no one else is so its little more than talk. At least we can dream

#19 ·
It would make a redundant attachment though. If you wanted adjustable chain line you could add more threads to the hub body and simply space it out as far or as little for proper chain line. Most do have quite a bit of threading, hence you can get away with spacing them out a bit.

They aren't that hard to remove for changing, IMO. But then I don't really stress over my gearing all the time....or at all really.

Plus, the hub threading size + freewheel diameter of current White designs would mean a pretty large minimum cog.

#21 ·
ChuckUni said:
Or get rid of the threads and use a system of splines, like White Ind fixed cogs (http://whiteind.com/trackhubset.html but deeper splines), and spacers....with a lockring.

But then you are making new standards and that's a whole new mess...
maybe I misunderstood sean's post about splines, but this is actually what I was trying to describe. Just a pie in the sky though, and I'm sure the practical limitations would make it not a good idea

#23 ·
sean salach said:
Easy to change as a cassette? Multiple cogs? Put the cog wherever you want? Inexpensive?

Isn't that just a Deore hub and handful of spacers?

#24 ·
ChuckUni said:
Or maybe I did. I was thinking the freewheel version of this fixed cog system, http://www.worldclasscycles.com/miche_track_cogs.htm , when I read his post. Or a freewheel that carried cogs somewhat like a cassette hub.
That's exactly what I was getting at. Chuck is used to deciphering my often incoherent dribble, so he has an unfair advantage with regards to 'getting' what I'm getting at. :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.