Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Signs of loose bearings?

758 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  mo0se 
#1 ·
So what are signs for loose wheel bearings?

I have Redline hubs on my Monocog Flight 29 SS. I've been noticing some "click" or "pop" where it feels like my head set is loose up front. But it appears to be coming from the hub.

Also, the rear will sometimes have a similar feel like the chain is about to drop. But I check and the chain is taught. Wondering again if it's loose bearing or sliding drop-outs "adjusting" on their own?

The QR are snug. They aren't impossibly tight. But are firmly clamped.

#3 ·
aren't the stock bearings sealed, not cup/cone type? i asked about replacing hub bearings when i picked up my monocog and the lbs guy wasn't too concerned.

i did notice some pops or clicks coming through the drivetrain yesterday on my ride and was curious to wether it was chain tension or chainline related. i can't imagine the hubs going out so soon.

#6 ·
The cog on the rear will sometimes loosen a bit, make sure its tight. Check the wheel bearings to make sure they are not loose on occasion. Sometimes the front ring is out of round, when new, that will cause the chain to bind, and pop, when the chain is in its tightest position in the rotation. There are high spots on the front ring, its not perfectly round. Adjust tension on the chain to be correct, at the tightest point in the rotation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.