Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

My first SS attempt.

744 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  robc in wi 
#1 ·
I'm converting my Chameleon with eccentric BB into a single speed. I've done some research and here's what I feel I need so far for the conversion.

-Gusset 1-ER Single Speed Conversion Kit
-36 teeth, 4 Bolt 104mm Chain ring for my Shimano Hone Cranks

Everything else will be what's current on my bike. Am I missing anything?
If you have a better recommendation, or any tricks and tips, please throw it out there.

Thanks!

#2 ·
Have you established what sort of ratio you want to run? Just asking because 36t is on the larger scale and if you are not in great condition, live in a hilly area, or (insert qualifier here) then you might end up needing a cog that is larger than what is regularly stocked.

Good luck.

#4 ·
I would suggest some spacer kit besides that Gussett. The two piece spacers severely limit the chainline adjustments you can make. Maybe it works perfect and you don't have to worry about it, maybe it doesn't line up and then there's not much you can do.

I bought a kit with a bunch of different sized spacers including some very small 1mm spacers. I can fine tune my chainline to match anything now

#6 ·
Use caution ordering any Gusset cogs. See my frankenbike thread below. Pricepoint is now pulling their Gusset 3/32 cogs from the shelves after I finally got a customer service rep to go out and check them. He agreed they were all too thick(1/8") and they are contacting the distributor. Too bad, they are cheap and strong. I second the multiple spacer set as the way to go.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.